View topic - Portable Toilet System

It is currently February 27th, 2024, 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Portable Toilet System
PostPosted: April 14th, 2022, 11:21 am 

Friends were interested in a portable toilet system for use on the Green River in Utah, where such are permit required. Rather than post the same text and photo heavy thread to CCR, a link instead:

https://www.canoetripping.net/threads/w ... ost-134929

I do not know if or where a pack-it-out toilet system might be required in Canada. Even in areas where not mandated a wag bag bucket and seat are sometimes beyond a mere convenience.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2022, 4:09 pm 

Tatshenshini it's required (is it only the US part? can't recall).
I have both systems- wag-bag and eco-safe and have used both for many years,
and I've used the aluminum ones. For small groups I like the wag bag, and
bigger groups the eco safe/aluminum (partner stove makes one). I've carried them in canoes
many times. Some people I know only use the wag bag because of the simplicity at
the end of the trip.....

PostPosted: April 14th, 2022, 8:11 pm 

My only experience with this is in a trailer park after the water has been shut off in the fall (therefore, zero bathrooms).

I currently use the bags that come with the crystals in them, the ones that are designed to fit over a five gallon bucket, with a "seat" that snaps it all in place. The ones I have are biodegradable, and in limited amounts, I can simply chuck them into the septic tank. More than two or three shits a week, and I bag it all in contractor garbage bags and haul it to the local dump.

You can also buy the crystals separately, and use any bag you see fit, but the turnkey solution works for me in this specific situation. In the woods, I'd probably use a portable seat and some kind of system that holds a lightweight bag in place, and then throw some anti-stink crystals or gel in there, and pack it all out in a heavy duty garbage bag.

Edit: just looked at your picture now. Yep, I use the wag bags. Never heard the term before. They were once suggested to me by an outfitter we hired in the boreal, as human feces can at times take a few years to decompose out there.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2022, 10:02 pm 

Our 4-couple group uses this: https://www.sail.ca/en/reliance-fold-to ... 2808910001

We make a “tubes” from leaf bags that fit the unit. Dig a small pit, set the seat up and attach the leaf bag tube. When we leave the site, everything is buried.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2022, 5:39 pm 

PacketFiend wrote:
My only experience with this is in a trailer park after the water has been shut off in the fall (therefore, zero bathrooms).

Somewhat similar, I was at a long weekend gathering at a friend’s rural outpost in the swamps of eastern North Carolina a few years back and had just come off a barrier island canoe trip. Between the main cabin, bunkhouse and tents there were a dozen + people staying for the weekend, and one bathroom.

Not wanting to disturb everyone sacked out in every nook and cranny of the cabin with my pre-dawn ablutions I set up the wag bag bucket in the back foutry behind the lumber shed. Just after dawn the host wandered down my way and asked “Uh, Mike, the toilet is broken. Do you have your portable thing?”

“Already set up and christened Mary, just tell ‘em it’s behind the lumber shed”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0HLAKm1_1Q

PacketFiend wrote:
Edit: just looked at your picture now. Yep, I use the wag bags. Never heard the term before. They were once suggested to me by an outfitter we hired in the boreal, as human feces can at times take a few years to decompose out there.

Let that be a lesson to me. Always post the entire thread.