View topic - Canoe (and camp) Dog Pad

It is currently February 27th, 2024, 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canoe (and camp) Dog Pad
PostPosted: April 10th, 2023, 11:01 am 

I wanted to make a removable canoe pad for a friend’s constant companion canine comfort. He is most often poling bow backwards, standing in front of the bow seat with the dog up front.

Something easy, lightweight, waterproof and inexpensive. Best thing I could come up with that met those criteria was two pieces of exercise flooring, puzzle edges joined together at center and cut slightly tapered for the sheerline contour at the inwales. This stuff; cheapest way to buy 22” squares of 3/8” thick closed cell foam.

ImageP4080009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716SW4WP?re ... tails&th=1

Two pieces of that foam mat, puzzle joined at center with the other puzzle edges removed. Cut lengthwise to hold at the inwale edges with the front edge stuffed behind the bow seat truss drops that spacious dry bed would wedge in place.

A removable canoe bed, not glued in place. A piece of foam on the ground in camp is a dog magnet on off season trips; I’ll put a piece of old sleeping pad near my chair just to have someone’s dog nestle happily at my feet. Or even in warm weather, “Here’s a comfy pad at the edge of my chair, leave her and come flop that ear over my foot”.

ImagePA063901 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Later that night it got cold and I had a dog pile at (on) my feet, nestled together on a half piece of RidgeRest.

Wanting those two puzzle edge joined pieces of exercise flooring to reliably remain a single piece I ran a bead of E-6000 down the bottom seam and let it seep into the puzzle edges, then smeared it more flush. And, what the heck, a strip of Gorilla tape on top of that.

ImageP4070001 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I, and no doubt Finn, would like a drainage channel down the center. Tom can stand in cold bilgewater clad in Mukluks, Finn has no such footwear. I have just the thing to create a raised ridge, left over from those two pieces of exercise flooring; the edge strips removed from those pieces of exercise flooring.

ImageP4070003 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Some contact cement and heat gun work and those scrap pieces formed a raised drainage channel down the center of the mat.

ImageP4080004 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

To assure the two pieces of mat stay forever attached, a strip of neoprene contact cemented along the puzzle edge seam topside.

ImageP4080005 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Wedged firmly in place.

ImageP4080006 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The raised drainage channel is directly above the center vee.

ImageP4080008 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Finn is a good boy, he deserves a dry spot to ride, and his own sleeping pad in camp. With luck, and maybe some adaptation, that pad should fit Tom’s other canoes. Nestled inwale to inwale U-shaped that pad is 46” x 22”, it should provide enough room for Finn to share with my new favorite snugglebug, his partner Bodie.

ImageP1220009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Next shop visit with Finn and Bodie I’ll give that exercise flooring pad a try instead of the throw rug.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2023, 5:00 pm 

Cute pups! And nice pad!!

I’ve installed CCF padding in my canoes for my dogs. Mainly so they have grip when we paddle rapids otherwise my dogs will go sliding around in the canoe upsetting balance.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2023, 5:52 am 

I need to make a pad for the reservoir canoe. New favorite dog Bodie proved to be a fine canoe dog, but sitting on a wet towel was not a dry ride.

ImageIMG_4330 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Bodie may be a goofball but that stance, feet equidistant on either side of the keel line is a thing of canine canoe comprehension. I’m pleased to see they had a spare paddle along, with everyone, including Bodie, wearing a PFD.

I’m not sure how well Bodie swims; Pit Bulls are solid muscle, he might sink like a rock.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2023, 10:03 am 

I have two pitbulls and each can swim like a fish. My one boy has out swam a lab in the past in ice cold spring water.