View topic - Evergreen canoes

It is currently October 20th, 2020, 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2003, 7:48 am 
Normhead, Is that Royalex? I didn't know you could get one in yellow.

Post subject: Evergreen Prospector
PostPosted: June 5th, 2003, 8:38 am 

Just to follow up on some of the comments on asymetrical boats. I too am the owner of an ultralight Kipawa. I believe they do offer a seat option to the kneeling thwart but you would probably find you are more comfortable kneeling. I never would have believed it until I actually did it.

Hop' you also mentioned that you want a stable fishing platform. That would be the one fallback that I usually mention with the Kip. It's a little antsy when drifting around fishing. Part of that is the fact that I am a big guy with a high centre of gravity. Now that being said, I fish from my Kip all the time. Solo it works like a charm but tandem you need to be aware what each other are doing.

Good luck with that purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2003, 11:17 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Normhead, Is that Royalex? I didn't know you could get one in yellow.

If memory serves me well the choices were yellow, green and red. Yes it is royalex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2003, 4:46 pm 

Hopalong,

I was in the exact same boat as you early this year. No pun intended. I was so overly taxed last year that I was able to buy a new canoe with my tax return.

I could not decide on several things. Mostly, whether to buy a Kevlar or royalex Prospector. I decided to buy a 16' Kevlar Prospector from Evergreen. I am very happy with the way it performs. So light too. I basically realized that most of my whitewater would be done in doubles and I could just rent a Royalex boat. I wanted to have my own boat to go paddling anytime I want. After paddling the Evergreen Prospector in Royalex and Kevlar. I liked the fact that the Kevlar felt alot better on the water. The Royalex had so much flotation (foam core) I just did not like the way it sat on the water (and how it felt on flat water paddles). But that's me

Don Smales runs Evergreen and he was great. Very helpful and very HONEST.

I recentyl came back from a weekend trip and noticed that a tincy little piece of fiberglass had been exposed due to scrapage on the bottom of the canoe. I was really surprised and thought that Kevlar would not scrape that easily. I don't think it hadbeen that fragile whenever I rented kevlar boats but then again I was probably not so paranoid when it wasn't my own boat. Anyway, I found out from this site that apparently I was panicking over nothing. and that the scrape is nothing. So I am still very happy with the boat

If you go with kevlar, I strongly suggest wood gunwales. Quiet as queit can be and looks REALLY nice

Hope this helps!

Jeremy

PostPosted: June 6th, 2003, 10:52 am 
Hopalong,
If you really want to get your hands on a Kevlar Prospector, try calling the Ottawa MEC store. They ussually have a good inventory of Evergreen Boats, and are only 1.5 hours away from Montreal.
I have had an Evergreen Prospector for over a year. I love it for most paddling trips. I have also paddled the Willow and Maple, which are great flat water boats and worked reasonable well in the tighter rivers of Quetico and Algonquin.
I don't think that you would be disappointed with a kevlar Prospector, I'm not.
My 2¢.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2003, 5:51 pm 

Thanks to everyone for the continuing helpful advice. Still looking around Montreal to see what's out there, then it's off to Ottawa if necessary. I guess one of the tricks to buying a new boat is not taking years and years to do it. This thread can only go on for so long ....

I've looked at a few asymmetrical canoes. Some of them look like they're moving even when sitting on a rack in the store. They almost look too efficient, but I guess that's the old "form follows function" axiom. I hope I don't offend anyone by this, but I find the prospector looks more like (my idea) of a canoe, those asymmetrical hulls are starting to look a bit like sea kayaks.

All that aside, here's another question - most of the prospectors out there seem to have a depth around 14" or 15", and a width of 36", but the Evergreen is listed at 16" deep and 34" wide. Would it be more prone to blowing around in the wind with the extra height (also bow and stern seem higher than other manufacturers')? And I know that a wider boat isn't necessarily a more stable boat, but would the narrower beam hurt? I do intend to fish out of it. Anyone have thoughts on the Evergreen "prospector" vs. other "prospectors"? I looked at a Scott prospector yesterday, it even had a keel.

Looking forward to some test paddling this weekend....

Hopalong

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2003, 2:01 pm 
Hi hopalong!
I too are in excatly the same position as your as regards the Evergreen Prospector.
I think the 16" deep at centre is a miss print or something in the MEC catalogue. Evergreen says its 14" deep and sure looks like that.
Nice in yellow hey?
Howie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2003, 9:19 am 
I have paddleded an Evergreen Maple extensively, and I am very impressed with
flatwater performance.
It was quite good in narrow streams as well.
As a canoe to be paddled solo I would look at the smaller Willow.
One thing with the Evergreens I paddled; the kevlar build quality did not seem good; I have seen delamination, and it scraped easier than other canoes that I have paddled.