View topic - Proposed Dam - Timmins Area - Grassy River

It is currently December 14th, 2019, 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 4:32 pm 

Article on the falls in today's Timmins Daily Press

http://www.timminspress.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=898828

Post subject: Sundown Comments
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 4:33 pm 

Hi Sundown,

Thanks for all your support and positive comments

Best Regards
Markus

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 4:48 pm 

Hi Markus

No Problem

I will be in touch with the Wabun Council, Woods Power, and the other
individuals discussed over the course of this week.

I was very, very impressed with the stature of the Individuals involved in
an effort to help you and Grant and your crew preserve the Grassy River
and High Falls. Believe me, every voice IS heard.

Over the coming days and weeks, that list will only continue to grow.

Regards

Sundown

PostPosted: February 13th, 2008, 7:35 pm 

Article in today's Timmins Daily press

http://www.timminspress.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=900190

Looking forward to reading fellow canoeist comments on the article

Regards
Markus

Post subject: Bump
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 7:09 am 

Hi All,

Nothing new to report - still waiting for Hatch Energy to schedule the public meeting regarding Enviro Assesment

bump

Regards
Markus

PostPosted: March 12th, 2008, 11:34 am 

Hi All,

Wabun Tribal Council speaks out at Timmins Council Meeting March 10th-2008 and their involvement with Hydro Generation Projects

Timmins Press
"Wabun asks city to leave hydroelectric projects alone"
http://www.timminspress.com/ArticleDisp ... x?e=937856

Sault Star
"Keep oar out of hydroelectric power, Timmins told; Natives can steer own course:"
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=939518

New blog address is now savehighfalls.com - old address also still works
http://savehighfalls.com

Regards
Markus

Post subject: Blog Update
PostPosted: March 14th, 2008, 6:14 am 

Hi All,

For those interested - the entire presentation by Wabun Tribal Council to Timmins city council is now up on the blog in 10 parts ranging from 1 - 10 min in length

Regards
Markus

Post subject: Save Pitt River
PostPosted: March 28th, 2008, 11:46 am 

Hi All,

I've put a couple of videos from the Save Pitt River group from out West on the grassy river blog for those interested

Regards
Markus

Post subject: Bump
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2008, 4:51 pm 

Hi All,

Just a bump to let you guys/gals know the battle is still on

Here is where were at

1) Working with Timmins council to try and get some support for blocking the dam( lots of reluctance out of fear of damaging first nation / town council relationships - understandably)

2) still waiting on the EA process - haven't heard a thing in a while and they do not answer emails :( what a process - just who do they consult ?

In the meantime we still have the daily pictures of the falls on the blog for those interested

Regards
Markus

Post subject: Funeral Services
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 8:47 am 

Hi All,

4 more sets of Falls/Rapids slated for destruction, this time on the Kapuskasing River

Check the top blog entry for details and web links

http://SaveHighFalls.com

Best Regards
Markus

Post subject: more dams
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 7:22 pm 

:(
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Seems the grab is on for the sites in the "practical" loacations in the Hatch report.
And judgeing from the one link it looks like they're teaming up with that Quebec Company, that has their completed dam sites listed as
"accomplishments" :evil:
Which means deeper pockets for them.
Lets hope we can get a few more groups on line now, we need each other more than ever, country wide.
And if anyone knows how we can attract more urban and city folk,
the floor is open....
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 7:41 pm 

These are not good days for the remaining pockets of wilderness: The bloody buggers that build these things do not understand the real impact of their workings. For instance, on the Kap projects, the proponents state that
Quote:
Each facility would have an installed capacity of 5 MW and would consist of a surface power house containing two turbines, an overflow weir and associated structures. A new 25 kV transmission line would be constructed to connect to existing transmission facilities.

The concrete facilities at the sites and the power lines are bad enough, and one could possibly swallow the reduced water flow over the falls as long as a healthy minimum flow is maintained. But the access road and the right of way under the power line bring in a steady motorized stream of people. And roads breed roads, as Hoop calls it, and back country turns to front country. That will be the biggest change to the remote stretches of our rivers, and a water fall has now become almost a liability for the northern wilderness.

Post subject: Re: more dams
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 8:52 am 

jedi jeffi wrote:
:(
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Seems the grab is on for the sites in the "practical" loacations in the Hatch report.
And judgeing from the one link it looks like they're teaming up with that Quebec Company, that has their completed dam sites listed as
"accomplishments" :evil:
Which means deeper pockets for them.
Lets hope we can get a few more groups on line now, we need each other more than ever, country wide.
And if anyone knows how we can attract more urban and city folk,
the floor is open....
Jeff

Your welcome Jedi - just trying to do my small part

190 rapids/falls in Ontario alone are potentially slated for hydro projects
I didn't even know about the Kap project until i saw a notice of completion in the Timmins local paper and it's almost in my backyard
These hydro deals are pretty sweet for the proponent - 20 year agreements to purchase power produced at approx. 3 times market price - who do you think is going to pay for all this green power ? in more ways then one

There are a few groups out there but it's like lone voices in the wildnerness

Posts/discussions on myccr i'm sure help get the message out, but it's still not a big enough audience in my view - major television coverage about the gold(blue) rush would be required in order to get peoples attention - but even then most people never go out into the bush, so have no appreciation for what's about to be lost

Regards and thanks for the message

Markus

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 8:59 am 

Erhard wrote:
These are not good days for the remaining pockets of wilderness: The bloody buggers that build these things do not understand the real impact of their workings. For instance, on the Kap projects, the proponents state that
Quote:
Each facility would have an installed capacity of 5 MW and would consist of a surface power house containing two turbines, an overflow weir and associated structures. A new 25 kV transmission line would be constructed to connect to existing transmission facilities.

The concrete facilities at the sites and the power lines are bad enough, and one could possibly swallow the reduced water flow over the falls as long as a healthy minimum flow is maintained. But the access road and the right of way under the power line bring in a steady motorized stream of people. And roads breed roads, as Hoop calls it, and back country turns to front country. That will be the biggest change to the remote stretches of our rivers, and a water fall has now become almost a liability for the northern wilderness.

I'm sure the "bloody buggers" understand the real impact of these projects but they can't see it through green(by green I mean $) lenses :-)

Once the dams are setup you will have very limited access to the falls area out of fear of being held libel

Thanks for the post Erhard

Best Regards
Mark

Post subject: River Levels
PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 8:36 am 

Hi All,

Is it just Timmins or is everybody experiencing higher then normal river water levels - up here in Timmins the rivers are darn near still at spring levels

This is great news if your a paddler and even better news if your trying to justify building a dam :-( ie Grassy River

I've tried to get historical records from OPG of flows on some of the rivers(grassy in particular) but they refused sighting the information is confidential
Is there a ministry that OPG has to report this data too that i could get the info ?

http://SaveHighFalls.com

Best Regards
Markus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next