View topic - Offshore wind power on Lake Superior--comments needed ASAP

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 15th, 2010, 8:09 pm 

This is a public service announcement for those who may wish to get involved. For what it's worth, the McGuinty Liberals seem to have made up their minds on the topic of offshore wind farms on Lake Superior (see http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/fu ... mber=48425), however others (http://saveouralgomaregion.org/) have different ideas. This piece of wilderness represents the longest stretch of undeveloped freshwater coastline in the world. So far, our governments (prov. and fed.) have done an admirable job of creating a network of protected areas to preserve this for future generations. It is a matter of debate how large-scale wind farms will influence this very special place. If you're interested, I encourage you to get involved.

On with the forwarded message...

Dear friends,

....decisions that will affect the remaining wilderness heritage shoreline of Lake Superior are happening quickly, with little time left for information dissemination or public comment.

At present, there are two immediate proposals to place offshore windmill turbines in the wild and scenic coastal waters between Alona and Mica Bay, between Wawa and Sault Ste. Marie.

The Ministry of Natural Resources is undertaking a phased review of Ontario's current process for making Crown land available for renewable energy projects. This review will include consideration of where, when and how the Government makes Crown land available for offshore wind projects.

PUBLIC COMMENT IS BEING INVITED on potential offshore areas and criteria that should be taken into consideration which may constrain future development as part of the Crown land application process.

Although Ontario's Green Energy Act policy on this issue also includes a proposal to limit windmill development within 5 kms of shore, please note that this is only a proposed ammendment, and may not be regulated. Lights and structures are visible for over 40 kms, especially at night. "Many other offshore sites have been designated as possible turbine locations, including the Michipicoten basin in Lake Superior" , writes David Wells, owner of Naturally Superior Adventures. (www.naturallysuperior.com).

You are receiving this letter from me because I believe you would wish to be informed, and take part in the process of decision making that affects the land you love.

My opinion is that without wilderness places and viewscapes, the true inherent values of what the Superior watershed and heritage coastline means to humans will be lost.
I have written in reply to the call for public comment, and asked that this area be constrained from any present or future offshore wind development.

What's your opinion? Your submission WILL make a difference.

Please attend the following local meeting, or respond by phone, letter or email before the comment period ends on October 4th, 2010.

Meeting:
Thursday, September 16th - from 7 to 9:00 p.m.
Alexander Henry Secondary School,
Northern Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie

For the full proposed policy notice, please click on this link:
http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Extern ... anguage=en

The proposal has been posted for a 47-day public review and comment period starting August 18, 2010.
Written comments must be submitted by October 04, 2010 to:
Mr. John Friberg, Program Officer
Ministry of Natural Resources, Policy Division
Renewable Energy Program
300 Water Street, Floor 5
Robinson Place South Tower
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8M5

Phone: (705) 755-1499
Fax: (705) 755-1206
Additionally, you may submit your comments on-line.
All comments received prior to October 04, 2010 will be considered as part of the decision-making process by the Ministry of Natural Resources if they are submitted in writing, or electronically, using the form provided on the Environmental Bill of Rights website. (EBR Registry number 011-0907).

PostPosted: September 15th, 2010, 10:44 pm 

Thank you for posting this!

PostPosted: September 17th, 2010, 10:19 am 

I have posted this on my facebook page. I wish I could figure out somewhere else I could post it that would get even more traffic.

Seems gov't and wind power entrepreneurs make every attempt to slide things by without anyone noticing until it's too late.

I see they have slipped one deadline past us already.