View topic - Poll do we need a national action enviro and outdoor plan?

It is currently December 11th, 2019, 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Do you think the big enviro & National outdoor groups are being vocal enough?
No they are being too quiet. 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Yes they are doing a good job. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I would become more involved if they came out with a stronger voice. 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
They need to get their act together and come up with a national plan of action. 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: November 21st, 2010, 7:19 pm 

I have been a "little" dismayed the way the large national outdoor and enviro groups have been reacting to the way our enviro and outdoor access has been treated in the last couple of years.
What I have seen is the front line little guys putting up a good fight and getting little support from either the groups that are supposed to have our backs and the politicians who are supposed to have some vision for the future (beyond the next 10 mins anyhow.)
So I would like some evidence that you the local guys have had enough and want them to do a little more than ask for financial support.
And feel free to forward the request through any other groups you are involved with, the more evidence we can gather the better chance we can get them to get together and come up with a national plan of action.
Well that's the dream anyhow...
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 21st, 2010, 7:28 pm 

Quote:
large national outdoor and enviro groups

Jeff, can you tell me who you include in this list?
Or is it a National Security issue?

PostPosted: November 21st, 2010, 7:56 pm 

I am not trying to badmouth or pick on one group
they all have people that love or hate them.
What I am trying to do is get them to get together and say in one loud voice they do not like the direction the National and prov governments are taking.
What I am finding is that the little guys that need some help backing their fights.
They are frustrated with what has been happening.
There are several major elections on the horizon and I believe if the big kids don't get a whole lot more vocal we will continue to lose and lose big.
One really big voice should help so that our concerns are not "dismissed" the way they have been.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2010, 10:08 am 

JJ, you might find this thank-you note from CPAWS interesting, after the news of the federal environment minister's resignation, which I found kind of surprising.

The recent biodiversity conference in Nagoya included an agreement to increase protection of natural areas to 17% from the current 12%, and to add on an additional 10% to protection of coastal areas... so there may be more natural areas being looked at.

In Ontario, McGuinty's promise to protect 50% of boreal ecosystems has yet to result in any specific area announcements (at least I haven't seen any).

Quote:
CPAWS thanks Jim Prentice for dedication to wilderness conservation

November 4, 2010

Upon hearing of Environment Minister Jim Prentice’s announcement today that he is leaving federal politics, the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society would like to thank him for his dedication over the past two years to wilderness conservation.

“Under Minister Prentice’s term at Environment Canada, CPAWS welcomed the long-awaited completion of the massive expansion of Nahanni National Park Reserve, the establishment of Canada’s first National Marine Conservation Area at Gwaii Haanas, and the announcement of the establishment of the Mealy Mountains National Park Reserve in Labrador. We deeply appreciated these and other commitments by Jim Prentice to wilderness conservation . His efforts will help to protect our country’s irreplaceable natural treasures for generations to come,” says Eric Hebert-Daly, CPAWS National Executive Director.

http://cpaws.org/news/archive/2010/11/c ... ce-for.php