View topic - Cycling in downtown Toronto

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 11:07 am 

Cycling has taken a hold in downtown Toronto, like it should to ease pollution and traffic load issues. Anyone with the eyes open has noticed the hundreds of bikes parked around office towers during business days - a major change since say 20 years ago.

Finally, there is a proper count of bike commute volumes, captured in this image.
The blog here gives details:
http://www.ibiketo.ca/blog/34-thousand- ... city-study

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 2:29 pm 

Pretty cool. I assume that the area enclosed by green on your map is the Toronto equivalent to the Bermuda Triangle. If you count the number of bikes going into the green area, it exceeds the number of bikes leaving the green area by about 5800 bikes/day. Very strange. :rofl:

cheers
dave

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 4:07 pm 

It's no magic: that's about 5800 people partying after work. Including the sixteen blokes counting the bikes... :lol:

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 6:26 pm 

I think when you get that close to the center of the universe strange things are bound to happen---why, just look at some of the people you see down town! :lol: :roll: :doh:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2010, 3:15 pm 

Nice to know Im one of 4,890.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2010, 4:39 pm 

Yes but 5000 our put of 2 million is nothing and new Mayor Forde is going to rid the city of the bike lanes according to his campaign. Looks like all you "pinkos" are in trouble.

(This is tongue in cheek of course)

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2010, 7:16 pm 

ice-breaker wrote:
Pretty cool. I assume that the area enclosed by green on your map is the Toronto equivalent to the Bermuda Triangle. If you count the number of bikes going into the green area, it exceeds the number of bikes leaving the green area by about 5800 bikes/day. Very strange. :rofl:

cheers
dave

As a leftwing pinko cyclist myself (political attitude doesn't count, I'm a cyclist so I'm a leftwing pinko in good standing, we're known by the company we keep), I have to say it's very very strange.

Is there a good reason for this, or even a bad reason? Are there really 5,800 Michael Bryants per day out there? That's very scary.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 9:03 pm 

There's been an interesting development. Here's an article from today's Toronto Star, a newspaper not known for sympathy to conservatives.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/917 ... s-downtown

It's possible that our new mayor - in spite of his comment that roads belong to cars, trucks, and buses - will do more for us than his predecessor ever did.

And then there is what's happening in Lotus Land.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... bike-lanes

Not only are drivers aggravated, cyclists themselves are all over the map and not thinking clearly. Do I detect the scent of Yukon Gold wafting in the breeze?