View topic - Wolf Lake is back on the "Chopping Block"

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 11:15 am 

A good run down of the main points regarding Wolf Lake.

http://www.cbc.ca/morningnorth/past-epi ... back-yard/

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 12:33 pm 

Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/morningnorth/past-epi ... back-yard/

Pretty worthwhile to listen to: it has excerpts from interviews with local and provincial experts like Quimby (of Obabika white pine fame), and with the folks from Sudbury's municipal government (Wolf Lake is part of Greater Sudbury).

Thanks for giving the link!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 2:24 pm 

More on Wolf Lake:

Wolf Lake drilling isn't harming old growth forest: prospector

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/s ... -lake.html

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 3:33 pm 

This is a quote taken from the article cited above:
Quote:
"Ontario's a helluva big province,” he said.

“Why the hell are they concerned about Wolf Lake, with the potential for mineral wealth for Ontario?"

Wow. This guy is really digging his own grave on this issue...
You'd think a reputable businessman like Mr. Mcleod would be a little more diplomatic when talking to the media... :clap:

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 3:54 pm 

If you think this is good, you should've heard the full McLeod interview they played this morning on CBC Morning North...

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 5:59 pm 

I've had the the pleasure of canoeing and camping on Wolf Lake with my youngest son in 2007 who was 15 at the time. It's a beautiful lake and because of the ease of access is used quite a bit by people making their way to the Chiniguchi Waterway Provincial Park. It's not like the area is so far off the beaten path that it should be mined.

We both went out in search of firewood after we set up camp on Wolf Lake. But rather than finding wood, what we found the most of was old metal drill casings either lying on the ground or sticking out of it. The buried ones looked like weapons that could stab someone if they ever had the misfortune of falling on one. And the land Flag Resources drilled on was damaged beyond anything I had ever seen in my 35 years of wilderness canoeing.

Yep, Flag Resources is one great keeper of the earth. Only if they can keep it's wealth in their pockets.

I say just make the place protected and part of the Chiniguchi Waterway PP and be done with it and end the issues that dog it whenever the Ministry rears is ugly head on any issue involving the area.

Murdo McLeod said the drilling activity isn't harming the old growth forest. "Ontario's a helluva big province,” he said.

Then maybe rather than destroying what the people of Canada want to save, maybe McLeod should move his arse elsewhere. Ontario's a helluva big province right?

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 6:24 pm 

So I read that Dalton and his boys canoe in Temagami - petitions etc are useful but I always like to go to the top and remind them that they too are responsible even if it isn't their "portfolio" on issues - don't know if it makes a difference but if enough get to the top maybe just maybe......
Here's a copy of my email to Dalton and cc to minister Gravelle - feel free to use or modify with your own thoughts. This getting a lot of air time here in the Sudbury area, lets keep it front and centre 8)

Dear Premier McGuinty:

I am shocked and disappointed that the McGuinty government would even consider reneging on the province’s promise to preserve and protect Temagami.

I am strongly opposed to the proposal to remove the forest reserve status from parts of the Wolf Lake Forest Reserve. I support Wolf Lake being a park-in-waiting, with existing mining claims and leases being automatically designated as parks as soon as they lapse.

Wolf Lake is home to the largest old-growth red pine forest in the world. With trees over 260 years old, Wolf Lake supports a diverse ecosystem that has thrived for centuries. It provides important habitat for wildlife and has now become a haven for hikers and canoeists.

Removing the forest reserve status from part of the Wolf Lake region to encourage mining investment is a dangerous step that threatens this irreplaceable ecological gem. Such a change would prioritize mining over the protection of natural heritage and special landscapes.

It is irresponsible for the government to backtrack on its commitment to protect Canada’s largest old-growth red pine forest from industrial activity. Breaking up this landscape into a patchwork of land-use designations threatens to degrade its ecological and recreational value. Wolf Lake is part of an endangered ecosystem that is estimated to persist on only 1.2% of its former extent. What remains of this region should be permanently protected.

I am reminded of a quote by Lyndon B. Johnson when he signed the Wilderness Act into law in 1964 against much opposition:

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

Premier, I hope your government and the Ministry of Natural Resources will do the right thing. I strongly urge you to maintain the forest reserve status for Wolf Lake, you have the means to leave the future generations a "glimpse" of an ecosystem that has almost been extirpated.

dmcguinty.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
mgravelle.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

Cheers

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

Last edited by smokey on December 16th, 2011, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 6:43 pm 

Those metal pipes are well hidden sometimes in the bushes. I actually sliced my hiking boots (and heel) on one a few ago! Worse than an eye sore -just plane dangerous t leave the core samplers (or whatever there)

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: December 16th, 2011, 10:50 am 

smokey wrote:
Here's a copy of my email to Dalton and cc to minister Gravelle - feel free to use or modify with your own thoughts. This getting a lot of air time here in the Sudbury area, lets keep it front and centre 8)

Awesome letter, Smokey. :clap:

PostPosted: December 16th, 2011, 2:10 pm 

I used it in a slightly modified fashion and mailed it off.

Thanks Smokey.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 12:55 pm 

For those of you who have never been to Wolf Lake, this short video by Rob Nelson appeared in my mail box this morning.

http://vimeo.com/33890599

PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 11:45 am 

The Ontario government is reneging on it's promise to protect the Wolfe Lake/Temagami old growth red pine preserve (the largest in the world) by allowing mining interests inside the park boundary.

Before it's a done deal,(government is reviewing) please respond (see below) or if on twitter send @dalton_mcguinty

Friends of Temagami link here with a link to respond.http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index. ... -the-issue

My blog post "The Grinch is Trying to Steal Christmas in Temagami" is at: http://wp.me/p1Pm42-6y

PostPosted: January 1st, 2012, 11:34 am 

Im really upset! I spoke to a Native,she stated to me that this is her ancestors area and the Govn. has no claims on this land !! I urged her to get the Band together and send an evection notice to MNR and all counterparts,then go to the Media on this issue. I said to her to have the MNR prove they have rights here and that in fact there is a signed treaty. She said there was not and they have no rights over this land. I think we should all urge the Govn. and engage them to come up with a document that supports they have rights to remove resources from sovereign lands !! Just an idea !!

PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 11:45 am 

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDi ... ?e=3432371

Hope everyone had a great holiday - things like this sure didn't take a holiday tho'. If you haven't written to our politicians with your view yet, there's no time like the present 8)

PostPosted: January 27th, 2012, 11:48 am 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/s ... etter.html

Wolf Lake still making the news in Sudbury area. Still time to make your views known to the politicians 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next