View topic - Battle for climate change voice...

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 12th, 2012, 9:55 am 

I was looking at this on the weather network, but what really caught my eye was in the comments sections.
If some of you think we "older" folk hang around forums too much... :thumbup:
You have to wonder what kind of money/effort is being put forward to "tarnish" (smear) legitimate science.
Read the story then go to the comments and you will see what I mean.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/s ... topstories

You gotta love this quote, I have to admit I have heard it before but it is truly amazing that this stuff is still out there.
Quote:
Its also hard to dismiss the gas released by dinosaurs had no effect, but cows do ?
:rofl: but evil at the same time
And then we have the Harper Government, I got my weekly Aunt Lisa R. flyer in the mail telling me how well she the the rest are protecting our environment ...
and then you see this, another victim of bill c38...
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/art ... sive-plant
Quote:
In March, the federal government quietly ended a program that funded small projects across the country to help community groups battle invasive species. Over seven years, the Invasive Alien Species Partnership Program supported 170 projects with $5.6 million in funding, but it was among Environment Canada’s cuts in the omnibus Bill C-38.

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 12th, 2012, 12:26 pm 

There's an old folk tale about a scorpion that gets a ride across the river from a turtle. The turtle is reluctant, considering the danger, but the scorpion appeals to his logic and says

"Why would I sting you? We would both drown if I did."

Satisfied, the turtle gives the scorpion a lift, but half way across the scorpion does indeed sting the turtle.

"Why?!" asks the turtle.

"It's just my nature." the scorpion replies.

I sometimes think of this one when wondering about the motivation of those spending time and treasure denying climate change. Not the scientifically ignorant folks who just don't know, but the big players who clearly know what they are doing is false. It doesn't make sense to me, as it will cost them more in the long run too. Maybe it is all about short term gain.

Incidentally, the CBC radio had a bit this morning about a climate change denier who is now publicly stating he was mistaken, after having looked at the body of research. (Edited to add: That was the Sunday Edition, and the guest was Richard Muller)