View topic - Harper - Staged conflicts and the path to victory.

It is currently December 11th, 2019, 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 19th, 2012, 5:32 pm 

Gee does the "beaver and the farmer" sound familiar in our NWPA fight, even their talking points on this issue are the same.
And the bigf enviro groups and Liberals spanked me when this mess started saying I was too aggressive in my approach, and calling for what their tactics were about.

http://dogwoodinitiative.org/blog/harpe ... -conflicts

Share this story with other groups to help spread the word, and a few others might take a closer look at what is going on in Ottawa.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 19th, 2012, 6:42 pm 

Jeff,
That was a very good article. Thanks for the link. I will be passing it along.
At the risk of being ______ (you fill in the word), I suggest, once again, that everyone in Canada should read, "Shock Doctrine", by Naomi Klein. At least do a Google search for it.
Thanks again,
Ralph

PostPosted: November 19th, 2012, 10:18 pm 

Ralph,

I'd like to second your endorsement of Naomi Klein. Following in the footsteps of Noam Chomski, she has a powerful intellect and a crusader's conviction.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: November 20th, 2012, 8:08 am 

Thumbs up to both....they see "what's behind the curtain"

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 1:14 pm 

The real issue is that Canada has 3 political parties at the centre or left of centre. All Harper needs is 38% of the votes to win a majority. His staged conflicts feed the 38% He doesn't need to get his message out in the mainstream media. He just feeds his supporters this red meat through direct mail; email; Sun media; etc.

The "elephant in the room" is the 3-way split of the 62%. If we don't want Harper, the centre and left have to come up with a strategy to have one face (one political party?; a coalition?; etc.) for the next election.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 2:32 pm 

To JCooper...

I'd go a step farther and say that, in my experience, a 'coalition' or some sort of co-operation between the parties is no longer the elephant in the room. Many Canadians recognize that this is the only way to bring down the Cons, but unfortunately, up 'till now, the egos have prevailed. We almost had a coalition a few years back but they got out-maneuvered by Harper. Somehow he convinced Canadians that co-operation between 3 parties that represented over 60% of Canadian voters, was less democratic than a ruling party with only 38% support. Unfortunately, most people know more about Brad & Angelina's wardrobe than how their country's political system works, and what the big ticket issues are.

www.mikemonaghan.ca