View topic - Canada's Boreal Forest accord is dead

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 6th, 2013, 2:33 pm 

Let me try with screen capture. Just the first page... If you can't get to the original and want more, just say so.

Attachments:
ON1.jpg
ON1.jpg [ 174.16 KiB | Viewed 727 times ]
ON2.jpg
ON2.jpg [ 198.51 KiB | Viewed 728 times ]

PostPosted: October 6th, 2013, 3:21 pm 

As with most things, I believe that there is some truth and frustration on both sides of this story. Foster's assertion that "the forest association’s corporate members signed up mainly in return for the ENGOs promising to call off their Do Not Buy campaigns, which featured disinformation and intimidation of customers", to be not too far off the truth.

I have seen blatant misinformation and manipulation of photos in publications distributed by Greenpeace. And as a person who made my living both in the forest industry and for MNR, that is extremely frustrating. On the other hand, it is equally frustrating to hear the rhetoric that caribou management strategies are job-killers, the jobs versus the environment rhetoric, as Julee Boan has pointed out. I believe the Ontario Nature's Boreal Program is much more credible than some of the Greenpeace tactics and publications - at least it seems that they are looking for a balance.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2013, 9:28 am 

Thanks for adding the text... it helps out here where things don't move very fast, sure can't keep up with those caribou running away from chain saws and bulldozers.

Part of the caribou problem has to be the federal government cutting off or reducing funds to the Canadian Wildlife Service and other research... without adequate science, how is anybody going to be able to make a valid judgement... lots of speculation.