View topic - Kipawa Lake Area at Risk

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kipawa Lake Area at Risk
PostPosted: June 13th, 2013, 11:35 pm 

Kipawa Lake and surrounding areas are important wilderness areas but also favoured canoe routes. Recently the government has put in plans to lift the moratorium and allow development on Kipawa's shores. Plans for development include hydroelectric projects as well as plans for a rare earth open pit mine near the Kipawa River, Lac Sairs (Brennan) and Sheffield Lake. Risks associated with rare earth mining include the use of hazardous chemicals and the production of radioactive waste. Please help us protect the Kipawa watershed by signing and sharing the petition. https://www.change.org/petitions/minist ... evelopment

PostPosted: June 14th, 2013, 6:14 pm 

I just a few days ago got this from Les Amis and Jim Coffey

Quote:
Good news for the Kipawa River... Taberet Project is dead!

Hello friends of the Kipawa. I just received some great news from the government of Quebec Opemica Park representatives. Tabaret will no longer be excluded from the Park. Hydro Quebec has given up on any plans for Tabaret and the entire area is now part of the park. The Kipawa now has protection at least from Hydro Quebec. The final public hearings for the proposed park are to be held in the town of Temiskaming June 9-10. I will be in attendance. Our property has also been excluded from the park so now I feel good about lending support for Opemica. A heavy burden has been lifted from my shoulders. Pat and I will be forever grateful to Les Amis and particularly to Doug Skeggs, Peter Karwacki and Jim Coffee / Esprit for so many years of unwavering support and sacrifice on behalf of the river we love and our home on the Kipawa. I feel like we have fought the good fight and perhaps lost a battle or two, but have won the war. Thank you my dear friends and paddling partners. Please share this happy news with Les Amis and the paddling communtiy. Hope to see everyone at the Rally. If you want to have a look at the final proposal go to this link http://www.mddep.gouv.qc.ca/parcs/opemican/index-en.htm

Regards to all,

Scott and Pat
By: Jim Coffey

So I am confused now.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Last edited by jedi jeffi on June 18th, 2013, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2013, 6:27 pm 

Yes apparently the Tabaret project is no longer an issue. The issues facing the lake and the area are a proposed open pit rare earth mine, it would be the first of its kind in Canada operated by a junior mining company. Rare earths mining is a messy business, China is currently facing some major environmental issues because of rare earths mining and a mine site operated in California for 14 years had 60 recorded spills, 600 000 gallons of radioactive waste was released into the environment. The mine site would include tailings ponds and processing on site, the processing involves the use of very hazardous chemicals. The location would be at the upper end of Kipawa River but all within the Kipawa Lake Watershed and all spills would find their way into the lake and be carried along downstream to the lower part of the Kipawa River, Gordon Creek, Lake Temiscaming and the Ottawa River. There are also plans to lift a moratorium on the area and smaller hydro projects. There is a lot going on with this area and it is all happening quite quickly. If we do not take measures to protect it it is very likely it will not be recognizable in 5 years. Please sign and share our petition.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2013, 7:21 am 

Kind of ironic that the recent boom in rare earth demand has been caused by electric car production, supposed to be green and good. Maybe both government and industry are hoping that the world will look the other way. Kipawa? Out of sight, out of mind. Anyway... petition signed.

PS... something that I am sure will draw much more attention in the public eye as far as green and good goes... is the imminent decision in Toronto on whether to Astroturf a football field for the upcoming field hockey competition in the Pan-American games. The Greens are dead set against it, grass is green and must be saved. Even Margaret Atwood is on it.

:roll:

PostPosted: June 15th, 2013, 9:22 am 

To quote one of the Ford bros "Who's Margaret Atwood?" :lol:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2013, 10:18 am 

Thanks for the info. Margaret Atwood has signed and tweeted our petition which was a big help :) Thank you all for signing and supporting our cause. Most do not know much about Rare Earths mining or the dangers. You are right Kipawa is a small town I think they were hoping there would not be a lot of public opposition. We have to prove them wrong. :)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2013, 9:09 am 

The Kipawa area wilderness is under threat from a proposed open pit heavy rare earth mineral mine at Lac sairs, on the Kipawa River, from a municipality that is in the process of removing the wilderness protection to the area to allow for mining and cottage development. Please learn more and sign the on-line petition to the Quebec MNR, http://www.change.org/petitions/ministe ... ipawa-lake.

Last edited by Barbara on June 27th, 2013, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
merged with an existing thread