View topic - Ont. Enviro Commissioner Special report tomorrow morn.

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 5th, 2013, 9:31 pm 

Stay tuned! The Environmental Commissioner of Ontario will release a special report on Ontario’s weakened protection for endangered species. The report will be launched tomorrow morning: http://ow.ly/qmwAs.

Hope it is good news on the protection front.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 11:10 am 

Thanks for the heads-up... I have my doubts that this will be good news, since it's the ECO, and a job being done as it was intended to be done doesn't often get his attention.

Have you seen the latest ECO annual report and criticism of MNR downsizing and inadequate funding... MNR also has a responsibility to protect species at risk.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 8:56 am 

Wellllll that was disappointing!
http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... s_act.html
Would have been nice to see some direction and suggestions.
But we can see how far down the food chain this stuff is, between Ford and the Senate @#$# just a small buried article.
And the comments.... :roll:
But it seems many of the comments sections remind me of earlier days mf MYccr... :doh:
I wonder how many Pol. parties have members spewing.......... to get their side of the message out.
We can only hope that the bully tactics that have been employed will give way to true debate..
Not going to hold my breathe on that one though.... :-?
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 10:16 am 

Again, the ECO singles out MNR being negligent, this time with species at risk...

Quote:
This report, Laying Siege to the Last Line of Defence: A Review of Ontario’s Weakened Protections for Species at Risk, reviews the Ministry of Natural Resources’ (MNR) implementation of the Endangered Species Act, 2007 over the past five years... as I believe that MNR has a profound responsibility to safeguard our most imperiled species.

I ...raised numerous concerns about potential roadblocks to success, especially the temptation for MNR to misuse the flexibility tools provided in this new law...

...I have been frustrated to see many of my concerns become reality. MNR has stalled in implementing the law at nearly every turn over the past five years...

What I never anticipated, however, was the sweeping scope of the exemptions from the Act for industry introduced by MNR in the summer of 2013. These new exemptions and their potentially disastrous impact on Ontario’s 155 endangered and threatened species are the focus of Laying Siege to the Last Line of Defence.

http://www.eco.on.ca/blog/2013/11/06/at ... cies-risk/

Meanwhile, back at Queen's Park, MNR has created this page describing their dedication to protecting endangered species.

:roll:

Quote:
Ontario. A leader at protecting species at risk.

We live in a province with over 30,000 species of plants and animals. Unfortunately, more than 200 of these species are in trouble. That is why Ontario passed some of the toughest legislation on species at risk in North America. So that future generations can enjoy the wildlife we do today.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/species/index.html