View topic - Liberals urged to repeal Tory government’schanges to FishAct

It is currently September 18th, 2019, 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 24th, 2016, 7:21 pm 

Tough to get a long title in there.... 8)

Liberals urged to repeal former Tory government’s changes to Fisheries Act

Looks like changes will be coming quickly to some sectors of our watersheds!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e29374813/

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 25th, 2016, 12:27 pm 

It will take years, I'm afraid, to undo all of the legal damage done to the environment by the previous government....

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: March 25th, 2016, 1:56 pm 

I don't think Trudeau's government will quickly reverse Harper's amendment of the Fisheries Act to the pre-2013 version and then amend again after some time taken for review and consultation... that means changing how the FA is administered twice by federal and provincial agencies. And in Ontario, getting conservation authorities back on board (they were eliminated from administration with the changes made in 2013).

Review and consultation for a more modern FA which includes modifications for climate warming, aboriginal needs, and whatever else more modern sounds complex and time-consuming.

And the original pre-2013 FA seemed to be poorly-written, maybe fuzzy and difficult to interpret clearly what needs to be done on the ground, so maybe a major rewrite is needed to create a better law.

Quote:
Tootoo has been instructed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to restore the protections.

"Work with the minister of transport to review the previous government's changes to the Fisheries and Navigable Waters Protection Acts, restore lost protections and incorporate modern safeguards," says Tootoo's mandate letter from Trudeau.

In an emailed response about the letter, Tootoo said: "I ... look forward to consulting with scientists, environmentalists and indigenous peoples in finding the best path forward to safeguard our oceans and waterways.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/scientists ... -1.2830645

PostPosted: March 25th, 2016, 4:36 pm 

As long as we have a guy named Tootoo working on it I'm sure it will turn out OK! :lol:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2016, 9:10 pm 

In those giant budget bills the cons where playing shell games with who gets responsibility to enforce the "rules" and gave the Minister the power of "Ministerial Orders" the same thing was done to the Navigable Waters Act.
Hence the need to talk to the Minister of Transport (we know who the last one was)
Since the general public did not get to see a lot that was done because the Harperettes secrecy ways.
Now this good be a good thing because the new Minister would have the same power that the cons used, but hopefully in a much more public way.
So I think there will be a lot of work trying to find out exactly what the past Minister "ordered"
And orders are not law.
Complicated, deceitful.... it sure was.
Another bonus was in certain disasters they (the cons) gave Ministerial orders to protect the public from the hazards or in one case fine the Provincial Liberals for fish habitat destruction. (Hwy 11 small stream and the plastic silt fences they put up for construction failed, it was north of Huntsville) The construction company was also fined. I think this was more of a "see we are protecting the fisheries" It was one of the few things we could do the last couple of years was collect these small snippet's of what was happening and saving these different events for when things changed.
I also figure they will release some of the really bad things the past Ministers might have ordered.
I wonder then if they will point their fingers at the real persons pulling the strings.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 26th, 2016, 6:58 am 

Time will tell, but it's good to hear that there is dialogue on the issue, and a desire to undo some of the HarperCons damage.

www.mikemonaghan.ca