View topic - survey of canoeists and kayakers in Canada

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 9:28 am 

Barbara Jane Davy is surveying members of a variety of groups on environmental values. To participate in the online survey collecting responses from individuals involved in canoeing and kayaking, follow this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SWFV3RV. This 20 minute survey went live December 13, 2017, and will be open until enough responses are collected, somewhere between two days and two weeks.

This study has been reviewed and received ethics clearance through a University of Waterloo Research Ethics Committee (ORE#22450). If you have questions for the committee, contact the Chief Ethics Officer, Office of Research Ethics, at 1-519-888-4567 ext. 36005 or ore-ceo@uwaterloo.ca.

If you have any questions regarding this study, or would like additional information to assist you in reaching a decision about participation, please contact Barbara Jane Davy at bjdavy@uwaterloo.ca or 226-581-3821, or Stephen Quilley at squilley@uwaterloo.ca or 519-888-4567, ext. 38335.

Thanks,
Barb Davy
bjdavy@uwaterloo.ca

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 9:21 pm 

Hey hi Barb! Haven't seen your name in a while :-) I'll PM you to tell you who I am

For anyone wondering once you are a few pages into the survey it is 50 questions. Only took me 3 or 4 minutes to complete.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 12:17 pm 

Did the survey but I have concerns the questions are strongly sqewed to the Left instead of Neutral to really assess what people think?

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 10:17 am 

Thanks Donomemee!
I am glad you responded on the thread.
I shared my thoughts with the author.
I did not finish the survey, even though many of my answers would have gone in the direction they were pointing I failed to see how it was going to answer the question of getting groups to work together.
I have found the little groups co-operate very well.
From some of the answers I have been an "outside woods kid" since 4, now 62.
I have spent countless hours volunteering with various groups over the years, some where I worked more hours than did at my job.
I had planned on cutting back until the NWA hit the fan in 2008 and was sucked back into the vortex that is volunteer work.
I was the only paddler at the recent Ecological Integrity in Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves meeting.
I fully understand how tough it is to attend these things, If I wasn't retired and living in the GTA my attendance would not have happened.
I would love to have a secret recipe to attract more paddlers and paddle groups to the many various issues that we face.
We really are hurt by the lack of participation.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 9:57 pm 

I felt the same way. Did not finish it. Started putting random answers in just to keep moving forward the realized you did not have to answer all of the questions. Ended up not completing it. Not a strong unbiased survey.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 10:46 pm 

Well now I am curious to go back and look at questions - not sure what you guys are talking about.

What would be a right-winged bias? If the question were something like "does paddling give you a strong desire to set off firearms?". Should a question like that have been asked?

PostPosted: December 25th, 2017, 11:09 am 

The only question I can think of was one about personal freedom vs something else. I found the questions narrowed my point of view severely but most surveys do. Maybe a more accurate way would be "check all that apply" answers so you're not choosing between personal freedom and whatever the other choice is.

I figure the author either tailored those questions to look for something specific.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2017, 12:15 pm 

I'm not sure it's a left versus right thing, but Question 45. "Scientific progress outweighs damage done to society and/or the environment." seemed to be a negatively biased type of question to me. IMO it could have been worded in a much more balanced manner to not be such an either/or scenario. Just about everything we do in life, to recreate or earn a living, has some impact (i.e. damage) on society and the environment.

I would rather see this question worded more like: "Scientific progress has helped to quantify, analyze and mitigate damaging impacts to society and the environment."