View topic - Navigation Protection Act - changes are coming

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2018, 1:09 pm 

There is new legislation being forged that repairs Navigation Protection Actt (the law that defines your right of access to water bodies), and folks are being asked to give feedback.

Here's an example of the new definition
e.g:
"
navigable water means a body of water, including a canal or any other body of water created or altered as a result of the construction of any work, that is used or where there is a reasonable likelihood that it will be used by vessels, in full or in part, for any part of the year as a means of transport or travel for commercial or recreational purposes, or as a means of transport or travel for Indigenous peoples of Canada exercising rights recognized and affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982, and
(a) there is public access, by land or by water;
(b) there is no such public access but there are two or more riparian owners; or
(c) Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province is the only riparian owner. (eaux navigables)"

For more details and to participate, see
http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42 ... st-reading

Please do not expect me (Erhard) personally to participate - I have done my share of battling the wind mills, and hope that the current generation of paddlers take care of river/lake protection. Cheers, folks!

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 2:57 pm 

Thanks Erhard!
We really do need more people paying attention.
Especially those who love our parks especially of Ford gets in.
We remember the Harris years :(
Loved this
Quote:
I have done my share of battling the wind mills,

And along that theme 8)
Yes I feel that way also.
There are too few real Knights of the River and you are Royalty!

Quote:
The Mission of each TRUE Knight is duty, Neh, it is a privilege

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgzXwpePTTU[/youtube]

And for those who don't get it read Don Don Quixote 8)

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 4:55 pm 

That's a good one, Jeff! As I remember my effort, I am happy to report with conservation efforts, no singing was required.

With the current proposed changes to the law, you must be tickled pink that your efforts are finally paying off. You put a lot of effort in to ask for change - as example I came across http://www.wildernesscanoe.ca/webfm_send/51 where you exhorted paddlers to speak up.

There are a few other folks out there that contribute: Phil Cotton and his Wabakimi efforts come to mind, Hap Wilson is probably still active and Becky Mason also seems to have her heart in the right place. The Temagami gang and Ottertooth have been doing a great job, and - I can't think of anyone else.... Whom did I miss?

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 4:16 pm 

Very tickled ! :lol:
I know a few of the groups are not overly excited about no increase in the "protected waters" but the way that part was open to the whims of ........
I replied that I would be more happy to see stronger enviro laws and the Fishery Act that cover all watersheds and leave Navigation and access rules to the new act.
By doing so will make it that much more difficult to slide through changes like we saw in 2008.
Major hunting and fishing groups and Paddle Canada also made strong presentations on the rights to access.
I did not see a complete list of those who did, I was just excited that they quoted and mentioned WCA :thumbup:
FYI I did sing the quest song a lot these last couple of years.
And I made a few pics to keep my spirits high 8)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 6:05 pm 

Hey - you got something to tell your grand children: They can be proud of their old man! He wasn't just pretty in his days but he also made a difference! :thumbup:

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 5:04 pm 

Just finished watching Jay Morrison of paddle Canada at the witness hearings in Ottawa on Bill C - 69 He reiterated my thoughts on the new definitions that affect us. (Yes they are Good!) No really tough questions back at him from the panel which is good, considering how rabid the Conservatives have been to the Eco groups and the eco parts of the legislation. None of the eco groups or individuals I have watched in the various minutes and clips of the hearings has even mentioned our rights to paddle these water ways. But that is also what happened the last 8 years and why as paddlers we must be ever vigilant of our right to paddle the various watersheds in Canada.

Jeff

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 11:19 am 

Just finished watching Matt DeMille of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters on Bill C-69
I am happy to report that they to on the same page to our view on our rights to Navigation smaller streams and rivers.
:thumbup:
They also agreed that Enviro rules should be in Environment laws and the fisheries act and not in Navigation legislation.
Watching these hearings and reading the minutes of the various meetings that the paddling community needs to always remain vigilant on protecting our rights to access these waters.

Jeff

PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 4:07 pm 

I hope that the legislation will be enacted this term. It was such a shame to lose protection of our rivers - was it 10 years ago or even longer?

PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 5:35 pm 

The cons started the wheels in motion 10 years ago.
And then we met
8)

Jeff

PostPosted: April 29th, 2018, 8:44 pm 

"It's been a pleasure...."

And I hope the change of the law will make it through the process.