View topic - Save Solace Wildlands Petition

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 9:55 pm 

No it is not correct that the road will be 1km wide.

All FMPs in Ontario are mandated by law to display a 500m buffer on each side of the proposed route, which is in effect makes a 1km wide corridor. There will likely be some variations off the centre line when the road right-of-way is actually harvested and the road is constructed, but the actual width of the road within the corridor should be detailed elsewhere in the FMP (and would normally be considerably less than 80m wide).

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 9:08 am 

The road corridor is 1 km wide. Not the road itself. That would be silly.

These details, including maps of the planned route are available on the campaign page.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 9:07 am 

Any recent update on this situation? Has the road construction stopped? As far as I can tell there hasn't been much info available since the fall of 2019. The most recent satellite imagery appears to be older than that but google maps does show the road construction branching out from Twinkle Lake before switching to older imagery. I'm wondering if I still have time to make it to Talking Falls before the road does and if there's any way to continue to contribute to the effort.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 1:12 pm 

I just returned from the Twinkle Lake access road a few weeks ago. I'd have to check on the latest Sat imagery but I don't think there's been any activity in the area recently. I could be wrong. I'm still amazed that they just put a road right through an area that is so beautiful. Regarding FOT, I've not seen much info released lately. I do appreciate all their effort in not only trying to stop the logging but the work that they've done on the portages and sites. I've attached the latest sentinel image showing where the road is. The yellow circle is the access point for Twinkle Lake
Attachment:
solace.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 1:46 pm 

dbogey wrote:
I just returned from the Twinkle Lake access road a few weeks ago. I'd have to check on the latest Sat imagery but I don't think there's been any activity in the area recently. I could be wrong. I'm still amazed that they just put a road right through an area that is so beautiful. Regarding FOT, I've not seen much info released lately. I do appreciate all their effort in not only trying to stop the logging but the work that they've done on the portages and sites. I've attached the latest sentinel image showing where the road is. The yellow circle is the access point for Twinkle Lake
Attachment:
solace.jpg

Wow! Thank you for this. Looks like they've made some progress and are halfway to Talking Falls. The fact that this is happening is mind boggling yet predictable at the same time. Very sad. Kudos to FOT. I did see a post on their Facebook page from last year saying that they're handling things in a sensitive manner and there is work going on behind the scenes. Maybe there is still hope.