View topic - Measuring unmarked portages

It is currently November 13th, 2019, 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 18th, 2019, 7:52 am 

Perhaps I'm lazy or just bad at searching the forum, but I couldn't find a thread on this subject. Help me out here. I'm curious how folks measure portages when on a trip where portages are not marked on any maps. Or do you just ignore the exact length and barrel through? An ignorance is bliss kind of philosophy on portaging... I can use Google Earth and other satellite imagery, but that doesn't often account for changes in the topography, etc. Thanks!

PostPosted: October 18th, 2019, 9:56 am 

I like collecting info on such portages so it can be passed on. I always carry a GPS and use it for navigation along with back-up paper maps and compass. When setting out on the portage I first make a waypoint so I can be assured of finding my way back. I then set the GPS to record a "track" which will show as a bread crumb trail on the screen. At the other end of the portage I save the "track" and name it. The info for the "track" will give me the exact length of the portage with all the hills and curves. The "track" can be overlayed on maps later and can be shared with others in trip reports.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2019, 12:50 pm 

DTowlun wrote:
Perhaps I'm lazy or just bad at searching the forum, but I couldn't find a thread on this subject. Help me out here. I'm curious how folks measure portages when on a trip where portages are not marked on any maps. Or do you just ignore the exact length and barrel through? An ignorance is bliss kind of philosophy on portaging... I can use Google Earth and other satellite imagery, but that doesn't often account for changes in the topography, etc. Thanks!

On my last couple trips I didn't have any info on portage location or distance. It wasn't that big of a deal (ok, for a few it was a real pain trying to find them). You get a pretty good idea of distance and location just by looking at the map. And what it is is what it is. Just because you know the exact distance doesn't make it any shorter. You just walk until you hit water again.

Alan

PostPosted: October 18th, 2019, 4:32 pm 

Same as Martin, I record all ports with my GPS.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2019, 11:32 am 

Beforehand I’ll use Google Earth especially when trying to determine the best route choice for watershed crossings and the like.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2019, 9:38 pm 

On the computer I use the measuring tool on Toporama. Then by the time you measure a few on the same map/scale, you can pretty much eyeball it anyway.

On the ground, if I feel it's useful, or if I just feel like it, I count my "paces". A pace being every time my right foot hits the ground - not "steps"! Throw in a little fudging for puddles or climbs or distraction, and, in my opinion, a pace is close enough to metres for most peoples' purposes.

It's the bush and we make our own decisions based on water water levels, gear, skills, risk, something we see or something we miss, preferences for dryness or flatness or shortness, whatever; so, I'm good with a ballpark figure. I personally don't fiddle much with GPS or +/- 2m accuracy.

P.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2019, 9:50 pm 

If planning ahead I would use Caltopo using both topos and sat pix to find a route. Then the track can be easily exported to a GPS as a GPX track. Using G Earth the tracks need to be converted from KML/KMZ

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.