View topic - Vacuum sealing freeze dried foods

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 18th, 2019, 1:56 pm 

I have been vacuum sealing meals, for example, oatmeal with freeze dried fruit, I mixed them together. I noticed today that the freeze dried fruit which was crispy when I added it is now pliable, it seems a bit moist almost like dehydrated fruit. Is this a problem? I need these to last 3 weeks in the bush

Thanks,

PostPosted: August 18th, 2019, 3:51 pm 

I could only guess/ assume that (assuming your storage bag was completely secure) that your oatmeal had residual moisture content at time of packing which contributed to the environment within your portion bag.
I'm not sure how you would dry the oatmeal any further other than perhaps fridge storage? Sorry no basis
or background - just hoping to help answer.
As to answer if it would it be good for 3 weeks, I've seen other recipes using freeze dried fruit, with sugar, milk powder (which I assume would carry their own residual moisture contents) stored in mason jars for a month it shows to be

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 12:34 pm 

As Niagara1 mentioned, the moisture is either coming from a potential bad seal somewhere in the bag, letting in ambient moisture/humidity or the oatmeal still has some. Only way to know for sure is to seal them separately and see how it turns out. My guess is on the oatmeal, but again this is only a guess. Without going through a process of elimination it is hard to say from my PC :D
As to whether it will last 3 weeks or not in the wilderness depends on how much moisture has gotten into the fruit. Pliable is still OK and should last no problem, dehydrated fruit is pliable and has no issues in that state for long periods of time.
If it really worries you, just vacuum seal the fruit in single serving, then vacuum seal that little bag of fruit into the bigger vacuumed bag with Oatmeal and you have a fail safe. Little more work, but at least you will have peace of mind while you travel.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 2:26 pm 

I find that fruit and other high sugar foods are plastic when done.
Maybe the fruit was just as malleable during the initial bagging, but you dont recall it.

I suggest this experiment. Dehydrate ketchup. That stuff is pure sugar. You'll see that no matter how long you keep it, it will never become a leather like tomato sauce. That should give you confidence in your dehydrating skills, and help you make better judgement calls as to avoid over dehydrating.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 5:51 pm 

Thanks everyone. The fruit was crisp when I put it in because it is freeze dried. I probably should have packaged separately as it acts like a sponge. I also mixed freeze-dried chicken with some milk powders etc. to make meals or sauces. So there is the possibility for the chicken to take on some moisture from the powders? But I think it will be fine? As it is still vacuum sealed. Hoping I am just paranoid here.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 6:06 pm 

Henda wrote:
Thanks everyone. The fruit was crisp when I put it in because it is freeze dried. I probably should have packaged separately as it acts like a sponge. I also mixed freeze-dried chicken with some milk powders etc. to make meals or sauces. So there is the possibility for the chicken to take on some moisture from the powders? But I think it will be fine? As it is still vacuum sealed. Hoping I am just paranoid here.

Yeah .... I mean what’s the worse that can happen. Bring some antibiotics :D

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 7:11 pm 

hey Henda ... don't know if this helps, but for my trips this year I took some dehydrated food that I did 3 years ago. Some of that food was ground chicken & turkey, random vegetables, fruits and even dehydrated eggs I did myself. I store my dehydrates in regular ziplock bags and I keep all of it in the freezer.

Your storage method is far better than mine. I'm still alive and well (so far at least lol) so I think you'll be all right.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 8:49 pm 

Thanks, it helps. And made me laugh. Actually I have eaten old dehydrated foods as well. Freeze-dried is new to me.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 4:52 am 

Henda wrote:
Thanks everyone. Hoping I am just paranoid here.

I know the feeling... haha. :)

Like Wilsauceez says I think you you'll be fine.