View topic - Beyond Meat Sausage

It is currently May 6th, 2021, 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beyond Meat Sausage
PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 6:19 am 

I have been experimenting with vegetarian options for an upcoming trip with my wife, should it please the Crown to grant us permission to travel. :lol:

There is a tolerable gumbo recipe she makes that is almost made tasty by the addition of some Beyond Meat sausage -- sometimes you just need that extra bit of texture, ya know? Well, I am happy to report that if you cook a plant-based sausage on the grill, cut it into rounds and then throw them into the dehydrator overnight, that you will be pleasantly surprised in the morning.

And why wouldn't it? It is something akin to TVP, but only better. You may even be able to pull a fast one with the carnivores in your group.

Also appears to keep quite well -- not surprising given that it is half plant/half plastic. I wouldn't want to eat this every day; it isn't exactly the healthiest of options, but it tastes pretty good once it rehydrates.

And it opens up lots of possibilities -- add to stew, morning eggs etc.

Bon appétit.

Geoff

Post subject: Re: Beyond Meat Sausage
PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 8:07 am 

How is the beyond meat sausage on it's own? I've been thinking of giving it a try.

MikeD.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 9:22 am 

We tried some last year and everyone, even the omnivores, found it to be excellent

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 9:59 am 

We think they are pretty good though Tofurky s still our favourite. On winter camping trips I will pre-slice then fry and serve them with perogies and basil pesto.

If you can find them, Butler's Soy Curls are a great veggie product, already dried, dehydrates in 10 minutes in boiling water and takes up flavour well. They work great in stir fries, with pasta or in a stew. look like "pulled pork"!

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 11:39 am 

MikeD wrote:
How is the beyond meat sausage on it's own? I've been thinking of giving it a try.

MikeD.

They look absolutely disgusting when the sausage is unfrozen, but you'll be surprised by how good they taste once you throw them on the grill. My preference is for the Hot Italian -- has just enough heat to make it interesting. They make a great alternative if someone in your group wants to participate in a BBQ without feeling excluded or like they won second prize with a veggie burger that tastes like sawdust.

They are quite tasty!

Beyond Meat also carries a ground beef alternative that we have used with great success to put together some meatless tacos.

Cheers.

Geoff

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 6:02 pm 

The spicy Italian sausages and the burgers have become staples at our vegan table over the past covid year. They aren’t inexpensive but they sure taste great. BTW Geoff what is this plastic you are eating? If you are referring to the thin casing, it is actually made of algae! What it is not is animal intestines.

Check out their website for more info on ingredients and possible answers to the question - “Why eat something that tastes just like meat when you can eat the real thing?”.

https://www.beyondmeat.com/about/

As for deydrating them, it’s good to hear it works well. I have to admit though that I’m just about to email an order to Harvest Foodworks for two of each of their vegan entrées - it is just less fuss and they taste pretty good too.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 8:27 am 

true_north wrote:
BTW Geoff what is this plastic you are eating? If you are referring to the thin casing, it is actually made of algae! What it is not is animal intestines."

No, that's a jab at those who like to go on about the ingredient list and how the Beyond Meat products aren't the healthiest option out there.

Well, duh.

It's a strange argument coming from people who will eat a Big Mac or a greasy pizza without question. No, I wouldn't eat this every day, but when you want a special treat on the BBQ or are out on a trip, why not? There certainly isn't any more sodium to be found than what is in a pre-packaged Mountain House meal.

I knew about the sausage casings. I can only imagine the product testing they went through before they found something viable! Whoever came up with it, it really is an innovative solution.

I've not tried any of the Harvest Food works vegetarian offerings in a long while. Nice to know that they are still around.

Cheers.

Geoff