View topic - Kijiji Ottawa - Wanegan - $300

It is currently October 21st, 2019, 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 12th, 2019, 5:38 am 

I know some of you folks seem to be into this retro kind of gear

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-water-sport/ott ... 1446456571

PostPosted: July 12th, 2019, 7:09 am 

Pretty .... pretty heavy and pretty expensive.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2019, 7:32 am 

Yes those were my exact thoughts as well - I have not idea what is the going rate for such a thing.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2019, 7:56 am 

Weight - 9.5 kg!!! That's more than my entire gear set up (excluding food and canoe)!!

PostPosted: July 12th, 2019, 8:32 am 

Wannigans are puzzles. Try making one and you'll see what I mean. Trying to make one roomy yet compact, strong yet light, portable yet stable... Making a "simple wooden box" provides lessons not just in carpentry but functional design as well. How not to overbuild nor underbuild a wooden work box is the difficult balance to find. I believe I've found that balance in the two that I've built, but what should've taken a day to build took me a week in trouble shooting as I went along. No matter how well I measured and laid out the working interiors I constantly forgot how fractional inches (old school) can and do get lost in dadoed edges, recessed lids, floating dividers etc. Measure twice and cut once became measure thrice and then think about it some more. I used to think making a simple wooden camp kitchen box looked easy, until I tried making one myself. You could get hooked on making these, I think there's one more wannigan in me to make, maybe this winter.
I like this one for sale but have reservations on some of the design. Solid handles get caught on gunnels and thwarts, stick frame build adds to the weight, and yes 20 lbs is a tad heavy. Interior dividers would've been nice to keep kitchen junk securely in place. But I commend this builder on his/her traditional design wannigan. The out of the way simple hasps are nice, recessed hinges are thoughtful, and added shoulder straps might be comfortable too.
I plan on taking one of mine for a trip in August to see how it performs. Who knows? I may fall in love with it, or I may toss it on the fire and plan another one. We'll see.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2019, 9:57 am 

Well said Odyssey.

Wannigans are funny things. They are a part of canoe tripping lore and there are die hard traditionalists who insist on using them and swear that all you need to do is learn to use a tumpline and then carrying a Wannigan is a wonderful thing. .

On the other hand, they are bulky, no matter how well built they are heavy even compared to a barrel, and there are good ergonomic reasons why pack harnesses have evolved in the last 40 years.

It was a serious point of marital stress when I objected to portaging a wooden box, so I did lug that thing over the portages on our first family trip but I have never taken it since. Nonetheless, even a simple plywood Wannigan is considered a family heirloom to be passed down through generations. I'm good with that, as long as the dang thing is used for storing gear in the shed and I never have to portage one again. :-)

PostPosted: July 12th, 2019, 10:09 am 

Well said Odyssey!

I'm a traditionalist- cedar canvas canoes, canvas Woods packs, cherry paddles- and so far a lark I built a Wannigan a couple of years ago. I used cedar to keep it like and steamed ribs to follow interior contours of my Chestnut Pal.
It fit the boat and looked great.

I never came up with a good solution for the lid- I didn't want hinges so instead left it tight fitting. I was going to use heavy rope for handles but they would require holes in the wannigan and loss or watertight hull. So I left it as shown. The reality was that it was a pain in the butt to carry and took up a lot of room. As a result I have used it rarely and it now sits in our hallway as a cedar chest for mitts and hats storage!
Canvas Packs and Dry bags are so much more versatile.

Don't get me started on plastic barrels...
Bruce

Attachments:
Wannigan.jpg
Wannigan.jpg [ 112.2 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]