View topic - Buying used canoe; what to look for?

It is currently September 25th, 2020, 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 26th, 2020, 10:17 am 

open_side_up wrote:
Not to be contrary, but I've found that my alerts arrive daily at about 7:30am outlining all the new ctanoes since the last 7:30 alert. The best deals are gone long before the alert arrives.

When I am seriously hunting kijiji canoes, I will search all of Ontario hourly and be ready to travel, money in hand, or have a local friend do the pick-up.

I didn't realize that about Kijiji. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2020, 9:50 pm 

I typically buy a few canoes a year, fix them and sell them again. This year I did about five years worth of my usual buying and selling ( about 15-16 canoes ) , I lost count. Every one of them, I paid fair market, fixed them and sold again for a bit more. Prices in the 2020 market went crazy nuts from May 1 to July 15, cooled a bit, and dropped severely after August 1. Since you are buying for keeping a canoe several years, consider waiting until after September 1 to buy. Prices will drop after that date. Yes the number of canoes available will drop to, but so will the list of hungry buyers you will be competing with. Add to the list of potential Outfitters to buy from, the outfitters in Killarney: www.killarneykanoes.com and www.killarneyoutfitters.com. Buy a scratched Souris River canoe from one of them and call the Manufacturer in Atikokan Ontario for instructions on how to apply a coat of epoxy resin to the outside and inside to "freshen " up the scratches and hide them. Or buy the canoe and drop a note on this board for someone to epoxy the scratches for you. If you call me, I need the outside temperature to stay above 16 C for 24 hours, because I don't have an inside shop. Good luck.

(In case you have any doubt, I don't have any relationship or connection to Souris River Canoes, but have worked on a few and paddled them , and love them.

Andy

PostPosted: August 28th, 2020, 7:19 am 

Thanks, I'll add those outfitters to my list. I'm gravitating towards a Souris River Quetico 17, or a Swift Keewadin 16.5, and I don't mind waiting until the season ends to pick something up.

I spoke to the staff at Opeongo Outfitters, and they're not selling any of their inventory until the end of September, or even early October; the uncertainty around school reopenings means they're expecting to be much busier this September than they would be in any other year. So I might even wait until spring, the market could look very different by then depending on what happens with the COVID situation.

Either way, the search itself has been a useful experience, and now I have a much better idea of how to go about things when looking for a proper boat. I'm sure it won't be the last time I go through the process. ;)

PostPosted: August 28th, 2020, 9:34 am 

The Portage Store Use Canoe Sale!

Takes place for one day in May every year (except this year..because covid). They sell there old rental canoes on that day, you can get everything from fiberglass to carbon fiber (kevlar of course as well) in many different sizes. But stock is limited and you must get there EARLY! Super early if you have something you want in mind. The sale usually starts at 8am, and registration at 7 am, but people are there lining up in the wee hours of the morning (5 am or early if you want first picks, i think some people even camp out in line over night). But you won't find better prices on kevlar and ultralights or get quite the selection they can offer on used canoes anywhere else.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2020, 2:57 pm 

thekosman wrote:
I missed out on at least 5 boats before that, responding to most of them in less than an hour after posting, someone always beat me. A few of those I wish I offered above asking to convince them into selling to me. It took me about a month of serious kijiji surfing to land the one I did.

Is really wild out there right now. Any reasonably priced canoe will have offers in less than 30 minutes from posting guaranteed.

Speaking of high-priced canoes, this beauty can be yours for only $300 in Mississauga today on Kijiji:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2020, 2:55 pm 

Forget about the kijiji alerts - even before Covid 19 the canoe market is so hot that by 7:30 when you get those alerts the canoe is long gone. You need to manually check 10 or 12 times a day and be prepared to move immediately if you get a reply back other than "sorry it is gone"

Not sure how familiar you are with canoes in general but here is something I wrote a couple of years ago to help inform a first canoe purchse.

http://www.prospector16.com/p/canoe-101.html

PostPosted: September 16th, 2020, 9:53 pm 

Update:

Well, after a number of weeks obsessively refreshing my "Canoe: Ontario" kijiji browser tab, and picking up various trip accessories from kijiji and my almost-weekly trips to MEC, I still hadn't found anything that fit what I was looking for. I did see a couple of SR Queticos appear (briefly) but disappeared almost as fast as they showed up. I had a few near-misses for other canoes, too; some that were the right make and model, but wrong length; or, right make and model and length, but wrong weight/material; or, right make and model and length and weight, but wrong city (Kenora is just a *bit* too far from the GTA, unfortunately.) :(

Considering the COVID-skewed competition in the secondary market, and the lack of inventory among outfitters, I had pretty much resigned myself to renting for the remainder of the season, with hopes of resuming my search in the spring. But then, out of the blue, an email appeared in my inbox from an extraordinarily kind CCR member; he told me he had seen my post, and since he had a canoe stored that he wasn't using, he offered to lend it to me to try out while I continued my search! :D

It's a 16.5 Landford Nahanni in ultralight Kevlar, and I'm going to take it on a couple of trips this month to see if it suits my needs. The first is a short-ish trip to Algonquin, and I'm sure it'll handle itself well there; I'm going with the kid and the dog and plenty of gear, and we're not planning to paddle long or far. The second trip to Chiniguchi will be a solo effort (my first), so I'm sure I'll get a really good feel for how the boat handles when it's just me on a single-carrying, bare-necessities, alone-in-the-bush kind of adventure. :)

I want to get me a boat that can do both ;) and hopefully, this is it. But even if it isn't, it'll give me a better idea of what's out there, and what I might need for future adventures. In the meantime, thank you, a thousand times, thank you, to the generous soul who entrusted me with this craft. I'll take great care of it, I promise.

I'll post trip reports when I get back. :D