View topic - How do I shrink a photo ????

It is currently June 25th, 2019, 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 24th, 2008, 8:17 pm 

I have some Nahanni Pics I'd love to post in the gallery, but they are WAY too big ( 12 mp camera). How do I shrink them prior to uploading ????

Thanks !!!

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2008, 8:36 pm 

You need to resize your images. Image viewing software tends to have this function. Certainly image processing saftware does. I use Nikon View, which allows me to resize an entire folder of images in one step.

Here is a link to a freeware program which looks like it will do the same thing.
http://www.brothersoft.com/jpeg-resizer-3357.html

A google search will turn up many more options for software.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2008, 11:53 am 

I assume the picture were taken in RAW format and then converted to jpg using your cameras proprietary software.
I usually copy the jpg's first and then resize them in photoshop with image/image size commmands and save as smaller images

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken

PostPosted: September 24th, 2008, 11:54 am 

I e-mail the photos to myself.

In most e-mail programs, you are given a choice on the size of the photos you e-mail. You may have a choice of original; large; medium; and small. Pick the size you need.

When they have been received in your Inbox, then save them to a folder on your hard drive. Choose those pictures when you are ready to post them.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2008, 12:56 pm 

I'll assume that a 12MP camera came bundled with at least some version of Photoshop Elements. If not, you should get a copy or you won't have any fun with all your camera can do.

In the event that you don't have it (or the full blown app) you can upload your images to an image hosting web site like Photobucket (they have a nice free version). Once uploaded you can use their editing utility to make numerous changes to the photo, image re-sizing is just one of the features provide on the current version of Photobucket.

800x600 is the proper size for posting on a forum. It allows most monitors to display the image at a good size without enlarging the current window to a size that drags the text off to the sides. For the gallery, you can probably go to the largest size your hosting site allows.

http://photobucket.com/

PostPosted: September 24th, 2008, 1:10 pm 

Cheap option...actually free and quite useful

irfanview.com

Install and then just click on your image files, you can crop, resize and make small adjustments, Take your original pics, resize them to whatever, then save as and adjust the compression level (90% is good) to reduce the file size.

It's a simple program to use for basic adjustments and you can make bulk changes if you wish (saving the new images to a different location to protect your originals).

PostPosted: September 24th, 2008, 3:18 pm 

recped wrote:
Cheap option...actually free and quite useful

irfanview.com

I second that.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2008, 7:32 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

wolfhead wrote:
I e-mail the photos to myself.

In most e-mail programs, you are given a choice on the size of the photos you e-mail. You may have a choice of original; large; medium; and small. Pick the size you need.

When they have been received in your Inbox, then save them to a folder on your hard drive. Choose those pictures when you are ready to post them.

I just gave this a try with Outlook Express. Works great. Thanks for the tip. :clap:

1.) Open folder where photo is stored.
2.) Right-click photo(s) to be resized. (If you want to do more than one photo at a time, click on the first one, hold Ctrl, then click on the others.)
3.) Choose "send to"...."mail recipient"
4.) When the box comes up that says it can resize the photos for you, click on "show more options" at the bottom. This will bring up a choice of sizes:
Small (fits in a 640 x 480 window)
Medium (fits in a 800 x 600 window)
Large (fits in a 1024 x 768 window)

Barbara

PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 9:15 pm 

Thanks for the tip on Irfanview. It does the job!

Next problem.... I can't get the files to upload to the gallery.

Here's what is happening:

I click on upload file, find the one I want to upload using browse, and click open.

The gallery indicates it is uploading the file ( yes I have already resized it at this point...

Then it asks for info like a name for the photo, what gallery I want it in ( in this case I am trying to put it both in my own or in the NWT gallery....neither is working.

I fill in all the data asked ( photographer name etc) then click continue.

Every time it gives me a "Previous File not uploaded error" :-?

Help ???????

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 9:21 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Sounds familiar. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31142&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gallery

Creating a new account seems like the quickest solution.

Barbara