View topic - What do you think of this style harness: WillLand Snowshoes

It is currently September 25th, 2020, 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 10:24 am 

A good friend is retiring, and obviously there will not be the usual celebration. I asked her husband back in Jan. what she might like that I could give her but he never got back to me. He just sent me an email and said she would like snowshoes or a BBQ! I prefer the Costco snowshoes, but none are to be had right now. I did find a brand new pair of WillLand's (no poles) for $50 (retails for 148 + tax + shipping), which be looks like quite deal (private sale). In an awkward situation here. I have not used or seen these snowshoes- can anyone advise? https://www.willlandoutdoors.com/produc ... wshoes-set

Last edited by cheryl on May 28th, 2020, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 12:22 pm 

Snowshoes are really dependent on travel. If its groomed trails those are fine. If its deep powder you need more surface area.

I have moderns but use traditional now exclusively. I would recommend traditional over modern unless you are in an alpine environment.

I get mine either from https://lureofthenorth.com/ or http://www.snowshoesalesandrepairs.com/?action=products

Bear paw is what I would pick.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 12:31 pm 

I concur with gnatwest BUT it does really depend on how they will be used. Most people I see are snowshoeing on trails, and for that the moderns are fine and big traditionals are actually a disadvantage. Most of the packed trails are made by rather narrow modern snowshoes in the first place so they tend to be too narrow for the wider traditionals.

Like gnatwest I use traditionals almost exclusively but spend most of my time breaking trail in deep snow. But most people don't do that. I use moderns in the spring when there is an ice crust, because then the claw is handy and the ice tends to wear out the traditional frames and webbing.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 12:58 pm 

My friend is and urbanite, and will not be in deep off trail snow.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2020, 9:43 am 

bump

PostPosted: June 1st, 2020, 12:12 pm 

In that case Im sure they will be fine.