View topic - Re: Winter Camping Locations for Snowshoe Trips

It is currently December 2nd, 2020, 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2020, 4:54 pm 

Hello CCR!

Some friends and I started winter camping a few years ago and have had difficulty finding spots to set up camp for snowshoe trips. We are located in Alberta and B.C., so are looking for locations to go to in Western Canada.

Some places we have camped over the last 3 years are Lake Louise, Barkerville, BC and Maligne Lake near Jasper. All were great in their own way. Our preference is to find a spot where we pull our gear in on toboggans/pulks, set up shop and then explore from there. However we are also open to drive-in campsites or treks where we pack up the gear on a daily basis to complete a multi-day loop.

As we use traditional snowshoes, we aren't really looking for spots that would require mountaineering or much increase in elevation since the old woodies don't provide great traction on inclines. Areas that allow us to roam through the fresh, white, fluffy stuff and break trail as opposed to high traffic packed down tracks are preferable to keep the woodies happy! Other than that, flood us with any info you may have. Recommendations or tips for the upcoming and future seasons will be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics from past trips for inspiration.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2020, 8:35 pm 

The Bowron Lakes loop is on our winter "to do" list.
Beautiful, adventurous, and no backtracking if the conditions are right.
More of an intermediate trip (I think).

Tumbler Ridge would be another great winter destination.
Very developed as far as what to do and see but you could also head into the woods and not see another soul the whole time.
Tumbler Ridge is one of our all time favourites. I could go there every couple of years and never get bored.

For all out wilderness, Tweedsmuir Park North (near us in Burns Lake) has the snow, the solitude, and wondrous views with the mountains.

If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2020, 7:31 am 

Before going camping in winter you must know the tent insulation process.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2020, 4:48 pm 

Canoeheadted wrote:
The Bowron Lakes loop is on our winter "to do" list.
Beautiful, adventurous, and no backtracking if the conditions are right.
More of an intermediate trip (I think).

Tumbler Ridge would be another great winter destination.
Very developed as far as what to do and see but you could also head into the woods and not see another soul the whole time.
Tumbler Ridge is one of our all time favourites. I could go there every couple of years and never get bored.

For all out wilderness, Tweedsmuir Park North (near us in Burns Lake) has the snow, the solitude, and wondrous views with the mountains.

If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know.

Thank you for the locations Canoeheadted. Bowron is high on our list and we will probably go there next winter. I actually lived in Tumbler as a kid, so although I am very familiar with it, I never really considered it. But I will now along with Tweedsmuir North. Tweedsmuir definitely looks like a nice destination for a future trip.