View topic - Solutions to the this Scenario?

It is currently January 23rd, 2021, 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 26th, 2020, 4:41 pm 

Scenario;
You have experience with summer and early fall camping. You decide to buy an Esker and stove the week before Christmas. Set it up in your backyard. Ask for advice from a friend who has winter cold and hot tented, and take some of it in. Build low cots from wood you have around. Head 2 days later up to Mew lake, get set up, just as it starts to rain. By moring, you find out you have set up in a low spot. The tent gets 3-4" of water in it and around it, as the ground is frozen. The snow on the snow cloth on the outside of the tent is melting. It is still raining, and freezing temps are called for that night. Wife says, "no way. Fortunately, there is a yurt available. You are worried that the snow cloth around the outside of the Esker may freeze in permanently, and you may tear it if you take the tent down tomorrow. You think there is snow on the way. You call your friend for more advice and a review of the advice you ignored. What do you tell them to do?
Hint: When you speak to him, he doesn't want to go to town for a trucker's tarpaulin groundsheet or move the tent as it is too much work. The ground was too solid to get stakes in and thus considered toofrozen to the trench.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2020, 9:02 am 

Maybe I missed something, but if this family has a yurt, why don't they just take the tent down and put it in the car?

Assuming there is something I have missed here, I might bury the tent skirt in snow, which will keep it from freezing tightly to the ground.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2020, 11:57 am 

Yurt was for only one night. Question was, if they had not got the yurt, what would you have told them to do?

PostPosted: December 27th, 2020, 1:38 pm 

If we were in that position, I would move the tent to dryer ground if possible . otherwise I think we would bite the bullet so to speak and pack up and go home. Safer to move than freeze in. Much like if you were home and had a flood covering 4 inches of floor , you would move out till you could dry it out.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: December 28th, 2020, 7:24 am 

Move the tent, that's the safest best option.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2020, 10:51 am 

But she said moving the tent was not an option.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2020, 11:22 am 

no, he did not want to move the tent. Having only set it once before, and it getting late in the afternoon before he decided to ask for help, I don't think he felt he had the time or the energy to find another available sit and move it. The friend has now returned and admitted that my advice as given was the best idea (he is soooo stubborn)- bury the snow cloth in the snow if he wasn't going to move it. Move to higher ground, or ground with a bit of a slope (put stove at the lower end. Trench if there is no other option (but fill when leaving). AND next time, go farther north where you are like to have more snow than rain, OR check the weather before you go! Also, make an interior bathtub floor so that the water runs underneath. He thought about it for a day (while in the yurt) and decided to make the changes.
I was just wondering if there was anything else folks would have told him. Christmas eve is not the time to keep texting back and forth with someone who is panicked! Runes the mood.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2020, 11:58 am 

With 3 to four inches of water inside the tent, a tarp would have merely kept the water in, as it would have permeated the barrier between the snow skirt and the tarp.

Couple of good hacks if you are camping in the winter and there is not much snow, use those screw in anchors that they use for pop up ice shelters. Easy to get back out. I carry 12 inch nails too, just hammer them in and if you beat them sideways when you leave, they will come back out.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2020, 3:20 pm 

Move the tent. If nothing else it’s good practice.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2020, 2:47 pm 

Wierd. I got a message that this post contains links to illegal or pirated software???