View topic - Hot tent with kids

It is currently August 22nd, 2019, 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hot tent with kids
PostPosted: November 25th, 2004, 8:45 am 

First off, just a thanks to all who contribute to this and other forums. Your willingness to share your knowledge is heart warming in this day and age :clap: I have learned a lot just reading through past posts. I am considering a hot tent for me and my family. I gather that at night, the temperatures drop quite low even in a hot tent. Is it any warmer at 3 in the morning in a hot tent compared to a cold tent? Also, do people take their kids camping with them in Januray and February? If so, how do they ensure that the kids are warm enough through the night? Mine are between four and eight, so I may have to use the tent as a day activity until they are a little older. Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2004, 10:02 am 

Well Hack, winter camping in a hot tent with your children should work real well. With a hot tent you can dry their clothes and mitts so that they will be warm and if they get cold the hot tent will warm them up quickly. We refer a hot tent to our warm jacket, in the tent with the stove on, it gets cosey warm in no time. At night with the stove off the temperature will drop to the same temperature as outside. With a good or alot of sleeping bags and good pads underneath the sleeping bags the kids should stay warm. Even if they get cold you are only a match away from warmth, just make sure you have some kindling and wood handy to restart the fire if needed. If you go to bed warm you will wake up from the cold before hypotherma starts. You don't have to worry about freezing in your sleep. Biggest worry I would have with the family is falling onto and touching the stove it can get slippery around the stove. Try it the kids will have a blast, much better than cold camping as you always have a warm dry place to retreat to after winter activities.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2004, 12:25 pm 

Bill is right. A wall tent makes winter camping practical with small kids. The only problem is they can't haul their share of the load. (But there are always... shudder... snowmachines...)

My son first spent a winter night with me at age 3. It was a cold night, -30C or so. I had the same concerns you do, so I brought along a mountain of bedding. Literally. When he was under it all you couldn't tell he was there.

He did fine, happy and cheerful. In fact they're easier at that stage than at age 13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2004, 12:41 pm 

We are planning on a weekend winter outing with our grandchildren this winter. We have 2 hot tents with stoves which will be perfect for 4 adults and 4 kids.
As an introduction to winter camping we want to make it fun for them so we won't be lugging in our equipment for too great a distance.
Keep them comfortable and warm with lots of activities and they will be anxious to go again.
If their clothes do get wet, you can dry them easily anytime.
A campfire at night with hot choclate and MM's is a great way to end the day.
Have fun
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2004, 10:55 pm 

The kids will love it as long as they are warm and occupied.
My two at ages 6 and 8 cold tent camping about -15 at night

cheers, Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2004, 12:39 pm 

Well, the tent is on order, and the stove arrived yesterday. A Christmas gift from Dad to the family. Thanks for the input. I am looking forward to winter camping, and at the very least, setting up the tent as a place to hang out when we go snowshoeing and skiing this winter. Has anyone used a hot tent in the Mew Lake campground? I know it may seem silly, but it seems like a good first step since the kids are too young to haul their share :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2004, 1:25 pm 

Quote:
Has anyone used a hot tent in the Mew Lake campground? I know it may seem silly, but it seems like a good first step since the kids are too young to haul their share

If you do, it's a good idea to bring your own firewood. The wood they sell is not necessarily dry. I'm told one isn't allowed to forage for deadfall anywhere in the campground, but I took a dim view of that regulation after the wood I bought sputtered, smoked and didn't much burn in my stove. Sure, you can get it to burn in an open campfire if that's all you need.