View topic - Hello to All, and a question concerning sleds

It is currently August 23rd, 2019, 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2007, 11:16 pm 

Welcome aboard Oz,

Whether you use pulks or toboggans with either poles or rope is entirely up to the terrain, and of course preference.

Sometimes I use poles with my toboggans other times I use rope. The rope goes to a 2 nch wide bandoleer that goes over my shoulder, sometimes two ropes, two bandoleers and two shoulders. Other times a big loop over the neck and under the armpits if the going gets tough.

I really like the poles in hilly terrain or when doing a lot or corners. I usually switch to a rope line on the flats and always use a loose rope line when over ice.

Whether snowshoes and which type of snowshoe or skis again depends on the terrain and especially the type of snow. In deep fluffy snow the traditional shoes are about the only way I can keep near the surface. On crusty snow and steep hilly sections I prefer the modern shoes with the crampons. When the snow is not too deep I usually use skis with skins. Over ice its almost always skis.

hope that helps.
Cheers Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2007, 6:21 pm 

Yes, for going downhill, shafts make it easier and more controlled. For eveywhere else, a rope has more give and is simpler.

Snowshoes are the most essential, because you can't make camp on 3 feet of soft snow wearing skiis. You must have a set of showshoes. Skiis, while nice, and far better for putting-up miles on a packed surface, are an extra in the Shield.

Different in the big hills I expect, but in the Shield the snow can stay quite soft for months.

Dave