View topic - Ski Pulk Project

It is currently December 14th, 2019, 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ski Pulk Project
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 5:30 pm 

Here's some pics of the ski pulk I had been working on. Its from plans provided by Ed Bouffard from his site,

http://www.skipulk.com/ as mentioned in another thread.

I had trouble finding some 1/2" fiberglass poles. But " Malek" was able to help me out and I can't thank him enough. Also had trouble finding 1/2" to 1/4" reducing couplers close by so I took 1/2" threaded rod to use for inserts and drilled and tapped them to take the 5/16" heim/ball joint on one end and 1/4" stainless eyebolts on the other. I used stainless eye bolts instead of forged just because I had them handy. They can be changed to forged if I think its needed.

Waist belt and biners came from CTC and can be used with or without suspenders. Heading out tomorrow to do some field testing in a friends bush along the Maitland River by Goderich.

It was a fun project, but I don't think it will take the place of my uhmw tobb. We'll see what happens after some testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 9:14 pm 

where did you get the paris sled from? I've been looking around and can't find them.
thanx
jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 10:15 pm 

I got the sled right from the manufacturer. No Canadian retailer yet as far as I know. Min. order is 6, I sold 3 and kept 3. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 12:10 am 

whats the cost for one of those sleds

http://hww.ca/index_e.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 8:31 am 

Hi OBP, the cost per sled worked out to about $30 which included shipping/taxes to my door. I'll have to add up all my rec. to see what the total project cost was.

Post subject: Great Job
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 11:07 pm 

Lookinnorth-
Great job on the pulk. I hope it is working well for you. I was wondering how it has worked for you compared to your UHMW Tobb.
I realize it cant handle the large loads but I was wondering about your eval of it compared to the tobb for med loads in different snow conditions.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts. This spring has turned out to be a busy one for me as I finally took the plunge and designed my own poly sled mold with features specifically for pulks. I will be a few months before I can test it but I am hopeful- .... If it doesn't work well.. my family will not be too pleased with the $8,000 investment in the mold but I have been wanting to finally do this for years.

Again good work on the pulk- Pulky Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2008, 7:56 pm 

Hi Ed, thanks for the kind words, your plans are very easy to follow.

Sent you a pm, looking forward to seeing what comes out of your mold. I've seen what you've come up with so far, all good.You might as well go for it as to spend the rest of your life wishing you did, I've got a basement full of things that didn't work out.

The first trip, lots of hills, only a couple inches of snow, once I figured a few things out,, worked well.

LN

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2008, 8:27 am 

WOW nice set-up.

BTW thanx for the post I now have a better idea of what I want to build. :clap:

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
"Albert Einstein"

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2008, 5:57 pm 

I like the waste belt set up... you say its from CTC... Canadian Tire I assume??? Does it have a specific product name and use other than pulling your pulk... I'll have to check on line
Nice set up...
Al 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2008, 7:28 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, yes the waist belt is from Canadian Tire. If I recall its part of a "clip tech" line? You can buy all the pieces sep., or they sell them as a plumbers belt, carpenters belt etc.. I didn't need the pouches, so I bought the belt and suspenders sep.. (the pouches by themselves cost more then the belt by itself if I recall)

My idea was the belt for local flat traveling and suspenders for anywhere with a lot of hills.Going up hill you can tell the suspenders are being used.

The nice thing about the belt is that it is removable from the padded part, I had thought of removing it and using a seat belt with the push button release. When sewing the loops it was really handy being able to remove the padded part.

I'll get the indivdual part #s tomorrow( I have to make a stop there anyway) and post them,

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 9:07 pm 

The belt and suspenders are part of The master craft clip tech tool pouch system. Sorry to say the belt and suspenders are no longer available to purchase as a separate part. Some stores may still have them in stock.

The CTC part #s are,,

Waist belt, 57-0003 $14.99

Suspenders, 57-0025 $16.49

Hope that helps

Post subject: Re: Ski Pulk Project
PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 2:29 pm 

Just thought I'd update this conversation a bit. A Canadian Tire tool belt is available, I think this is the current version.

Lookin' North, did you have to sew those extra webbing loops on (for pole attachment) or did your version of the belt come with them?

I gather that Pulky Ed is the Ed behind [url]http://www.skipulk.com[/url]. He is indeed now producing selling his rotomolded sleds referred to above, though he appears to be out of stock. The "Snow Clipper" sleds appear to be very well thought out.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 4:32 pm 

Quote:
Lookin' North, did you have to sew those extra webbing loops on (for pole attachment) or did your version of the belt come with them?

Yes, I had to sew on those daisy chains to the CTC belt. It worked out good as the CTC belt itself is removable from the padded part making sewing a lot easier, we sewed on a few different loops to make sure we could adjust it to different sized folks and clothing combinations.

I haven't seen Ed's new sled but I'm sure it's a good one, well thought out,, I'll check it out for sure. Ed was very helpful with answering questions and helpful tips.

I've seen the new belt from CTC, was thinking of picking it up to use with the uhmw tobbagan. I prefer to pull it at my waist/hips, thought I could wear it backwards with the buckle to the rear( fastened loosely) and the rope strung through the belt loops, with a lanyard around my neck and clipped to the suspender "D" ring which would now be at my front, it would keep the belt and rope from dropping when going down a slight slope when the tobbg. has a habit of catching up to you and the tow rope goes slack,,,, just an idea

:)

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 3:57 pm 

I have a review of Ed's new Snow Clipper sled at http://www.wintercampers.com/wintercamperscom-home/still-cant-get-enough-about-winter-camping/gear-reviews/eds-wilderness-systems-snow-clipper-pulk/