View topic - best downhill canoe

It is currently August 23rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 12:38 am 

Winter madness has set in and within a couple of months there will be opportunities to engage in downhill canoe races. I am looking for advice on the best canoe for this activity (keeled canoes dont do too well on curved trails and are a disaster if there is no snow in the woods and they go straight where the trail bends) and paddling (or is it poling) technique on snow.
Also wax advice is needed.

Grumman owners need not reply because I have seen and heard the awful carnage of metal canoe careening over rocks and trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 1:30 am 

Pretty much any Royalex canoe will work just fine. The polyethylene canoes like the OT Discovery also work well, but the plastic gets brittle if cold and you might crack it.

You didn't mention tandem or solo. Solo's easier. Steering's tough either way though and you want to make sure to be very careful with paddle plants as snow is less forgiving than water and you'll be going MUCH faster. Paddles used with sweep type strokes seem to work not too bad and if you're very careful, a light cross draw is manageable. I'd look for some beat up paddles that you don't care about. Plastic ones work the best, but the cold temps make them brittle and they do snap.

You won't need or want a wax.

I'd be very careful about putting feet under seats. The speeds you can hit and the unforgiving nature of snow compared to water make spinal cord injuries a distinct possiblity. Its a good idea to remove thwarts and I'd leave airbags in if already equipped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 9:34 am 

As far as wax advice goes , any hard ( cold weather ) cross-country ski wax will make the bottom sooo slippery that you'll be shooting down the slope faster then Chevy Chase did on the saucer in " Christmas Vacation " Good luck....you'll really need it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 11:30 am 

Well considering this race will have a John Candy appeal , I would suggest you show deftness in taping crazy carpets to the underside of your canoes (using the highest grade of duct tape,of course).

If you make a mistake in the direction of your overlapping joints, fear not....just turn the canoe arround and head downhill :smile:

You could always steer it by fashoining some sort of stick pivot on either side and pull on the sticks as you would directing a bulldozer.

Good luck :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 4:39 pm 

We use the Detonator for either summer Otter sliding or winter tobogganing. In the summer it works best when you have a good hill with a water exit. The one hill I love is at the Pinery P/P not far from here. It a sand dune that reaches the height of about 80`- 90` high, and it sits on about a 45-50 degree angle. So the total lenght of the slide is 125`and longer if you want, an ending in the river. Its a riot ! We`ve also used our tamdem Blast. Both boats are flat bottomed. You could also use any C1 with a planing hull. They would be way too much fun !!! Now give a hill like that some snow, you may want to put a helmet on!! I`ll be there this winter for sure!! Bring on the snow!

Kim I hope there are no trees in any of your runs, even royalex can dent. Hee, Hee !!

Cheers Al

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rapid on 2002-11-24 16:46 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2002, 9:09 am 

Not using my cedar strip - thats for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2002, 9:55 pm 

I am not using my three thousand dollar Loon Works Duet either...its for freestyle but not snow freestyle.
Havent thought about that tandem vs solo...depends if I can find another crazy person.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2002, 9:01 am 

I have used my 13' Paluski Spirit kayak (poly) with great success & the kids love taking it to the toboggan hill instead of their GT's.

Paddle Safe
mtbyak

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2002, 9:13 am 

Downhill canoing :grin: :grin: :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2002, 11:56 am 

John its not far from you.
Check if Baers in Providence is still doing downhill canoe races at Yawgoo Valley Rhode Island.
For you northerners RI does have one ski area with a vertical of 40 meters. Just perfect for canoeing.
I have only done this race in a Aquaterra Keowee, and ran into the snow fence.