View topic - Backcountry winter camping in Bruce Peninsula (photo update)

It is currently August 15th, 2020, 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 9:26 am 

Hi all. I just like a little confirmation on the information about winter camping in the park. I've wanted to spend some time up there for a while and seeing that I have an extra long weekend coming up, I am planning my annual Super Bowl get-a-way weekend, which means going some place far away to get away from this overblown and overrated game. I take it from what I have read that you can camp in the campground or is it the campground parking lot? Is there a fee and is there enough wood supplied or would you suggest bringing along a supply? If you could help with a few of the questions, that would be most appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 11:52 am 

DaveH wrote:
Hi all. I just like a little confirmation on the information about winter camping in the park. I've wanted to spend some time up there for a while and seeing that I have an extra long weekend coming up, I am planning my annual Super Bowl get-a-way weekend, which means going some place far away to get away from this overblown and overrated game. I take it from what I have read that you can camp in the campground or is it the campground parking lot? Is there a fee and is there enough wood supplied or would you suggest bringing along a supply? If you could help with a few of the questions, that would be most appreciated. Thanks.

No wood is supplied. The camp wood "hut" is only open when the office is open...and right now ( since the begiining of October, even) the park is "self service". There IS, however, a store accross from the park gate that has good, dry hardwood...expensive ($10 a bundle)

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 9:29 pm 

BPNP is open for camping. Camping is self registration. The park DOES have wood available in winter at the entrance to the Tamarack campground (in winter you access it across from the overflow parking lot near the Cyprus Lake day area). It's $4 per bundle and you just deposit your $ into a slot. If you have a large gang of campers going or expect to need a lot of wood, best to call the park in advance to let them know so they can be sure there's enough wood there.
Grocery Store, LCBO and 2 places to eat are open in Tobermory. The NE wind now blowing should make the Georgian Bay coast spectacular. Now if the roads are open! at this writing they are not. If you would like more info e-mail me.
Stay safe
OAF