View topic - Who's coming to10th annual Deep Freeze ??

It is currently August 15th, 2020, 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 8:18 pm 

Should be good travelling. Safe journey and hope to see you Tuesday.

Daniel.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 10:30 pm 

Quote:
We just got a call from VIA Rail that tomorrow's train is cancelled.

Dumb question: does that mean the return trip on coming Sunday is canceled as well? ....would be if it's the same train unit that goes back and forth between Sudbury and White River.

If so, then any folks that planned to come out the day after tomorrow should be warned. (sat phone?)

PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 7:48 am 

The first crew for DF was only going in today so there isn't anyone at Nitro expecting pick-up tomorrow.
Those who make the trek from Hwy 144 in will be keeping in touch with Via and a few of us by Sat phone in the event there are any changes in the overall DF plan... Hopefully the Budd will run from Tues on....and we can hear about the bushwacking crews experience...
See you all on Thurs... God and the Budd car willing...
Al 8)
ps...for those who have to cancel because of this situation... see you all next year

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 8:33 am 

Hi All,
Here's the latest update....
1 - The Budd was cancelled because they only had one passenger car available and too many passengers and gear for the trip... the baggage care was damaged, so currrently they are working on having 2 passenger cars ( one for baggage ) up and running on Tues for the trip North... cross your fingers
2 - The DF gang met at the train station to discuss the options and the following happened: Smokey, Billy, Maddogbob, lbpuppy, the CC's, Deb, Georgi, Swift and his friend Mark and Scouter Joe
( maybe others ) decided to bushwack in from Hwy 144 ( not sure of the start point ) with the hope of making it to Nitro by Monday, if the travelling conditions allowed ( slush on the lakes was the biggest concern ).
3 - Jim Balos, Blaf, Newfy Jim and their daughters, OAF, Moe & Sir Campsalot headed for Killarney to spend the week there.
4 - Smokey was going to keep in touch with his wife Jan by SAT phone to let her know of their progress and I'll post on the site any updates I get...

Hopefully they'll make it to Nitro Creek and the rest of the DFer's will enjoy a ride on the Budd to celebrate the 10th anniversary...

Cheers,
Al
ps ... on another note... the Budd is scheduled for a complete refurbish this summer according to what Smokey was told... new engines, transmission etc... here's hoping

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 10:39 am 

Hi all,
I just got off the phone with Smokey's wife Jan... he called this morning and said they had a successful trip in to SmokeFox Lake... conditions for travelling were good and they are well set up... today they plan to move some of the heavier gear to Nitro Creek and make the big push and be fully set up tomorrow...
I'll keep everyone posted when I get updates from Jan...
Hopefully the Budd goes Tues... I can't be there so Carol
( Scouter Joe's wife ) can be the go between if the Budd doesn't run...
As Carol said in a previous post Jim, Jim, Blaf & their kids, OAF, Moe and Sir Campsalot went to Killarney... from the sounds of it most of them will be staying there until Fri...
Still hoping to see you all at Nitro on Thurs..
Cheers,
Al 8)
see Nitro or Bust!!!!!!! for other updates

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 1:20 pm 

Just got the phone call.

Train canceled Tuesday...

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 3:52 pm 

I spoke wit Janet... Smokey's wife and she'll be leaving a message on the SAT phone the the Tues Budd car is cancelled...
All we can do now is hope that the Budd runs Thurs...
Cheers,
Al

PostPosted: February 27th, 2011, 1:41 pm 

Quote:
Great for walking on the firm snow, a bit skimpy for quinzee building, and probably plenty of slush on the lakes to make afternoons on the lake ice a soggy affair....

Well, the folks are back and can describe what it actually looked like.

To explain my comment, in my experience, slush puddles on top of the low sections of a lake's ice. The ice is not level as it buckles and heaves with pressure and (typically) dropping lake levels. Fresh snow will cover the slush and insulate it against freezing - step on it with skis or snow shoes and they ice up. What a pain!

Travel should be either on top of old tracks which freeze over in cold weather and thus make for firm footing. Otherwise, staying near the shores makes for soft but powdery travel. But if you come near the outlet of the lake, be careful: there is quite often slush or even thin ice to make things dicey....