View topic - oooh, the weather outside is frightful...

It is currently August 20th, 2019, 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2002, 12:30 pm 

[quote]
On 2002-12-28 12:45, dboles wrote:
Hooray for local parlance.We had a very small amount of snow on Christmas day

Oh, Ok. Sounds like you had a skid of snow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2002, 1:15 pm 

And here we are in Sudbury ... December 30th ... our forecast for this evening is +5 deg C and 5 mm of rain. Sigh. My snowshoes are gathering dust in the basement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2002, 1:46 pm 

...and what makes you think you'll get any sympathy from us guys in the deep south, Richard? :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2002, 6:12 pm 

Hey Wotrock a sideways slip of snow or a runner of an airplane of snow... wattya talking about.Our skiff of snow has turned into quite a dump and its snowing today.Touche old buddy and happy paddling.Snow aside it is rarely cold enough to freeze the lakes and we will be paddling on New Years day.Have a good one and not too much to eat heard it can give a person a sore head come morning

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2002, 6:49 pm 

Paddling on New Year’s Day.... what a good idea! This is the first year since they started keeping records here in the Yukon that we have open water on some local lakes and rivers.... good news for paddlers, but scary otherwise! This is by far the warmest winter we have ever had!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2002, 1:57 am 

Open water in the Yukon? Yikes that is scary.
Almost as scary as the snowmobilers that now ply the lake at 70 mph.
Statewide there are four less today than there were yesterday.
That includes one pedestrian who was walking on one lake and even with flashlight got hit by a hit and run snowmobile. He got killed and the parts (snowmobile) that got left behind led to the arrest of the driver who will spend the rest of this winter anyway and maybe many more in jail.
If you walk your lake, wear two headlamps(one visible from the rear) and carry a shotgun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2003, 3:56 pm 

[quote]
On 2002-12-30 18:12, dboles wrote:
Hey Wotrock a sideways slip of snow or a runner of an airplane of snow... wattya talking about.Our skiff of snow has turned into quite a dump and its snowing today.Touche old buddy and happy paddling.Have a good one and not too much to eat heard it can give a person a sore head come morning

I'm glad we didn't have that big dump of snow here in the GTA. I'm not sure what we would have done. After all, the army is all in Afganistan or the Middle East! :smile:

"Runner of an airplane of snow"? You got me stumped on that one. Runner of an airplane, boats falling from the sky?!. Have you been puffing some of BC's #1 cashcrop? You folks must have local jargon to cover that stuff.

How was you New Yr's paddle?
wotrock

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2003, 9:43 pm 

We tried but it was snowing ( read the ladies didnt want to) and we ended up having a shoreside fire- nice time,next year I guess.Naw I do not partake o the green.A runner of an airplane is refered to as a skid Do not know how a reference to snow could be a skiff but we all understand what is defered to.Its been snowing since Christmas.Skiers are happy and we have some very fine mt.top snowmobiling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2003, 9:02 am 
LOL Darryl, I made a mistake, it's my paddling jacket not top and the gasket is laytex, I think someone told me to use an apple juice can, any pointers on care would be appreciated. Stew really enjoyed the game, USA vrs the Russians. Canadian gals know better than begrudge a fella a hockey game :smile: We made it back to Ottawa, that's a loooooong drive in the winter. Cheers all