View topic - Nitro or Bust!!!!!!!!!

It is currently August 15th, 2020, 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nitro or Bust!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 1:19 pm 

First group of the unsinkable deepfreezers are off. They were dropped off beside hwy 144 just south of Halfway Lk Prov. Park, They were going to trek in to Nitro by Mon. They were going about 3 to 4 km to the end of the lake and set up a temporary camp and then bushwack the trail through to Nito tomorrow and then on Monday move everything over, so by Tues the camp should be set up and the wood cut. It was really cold -17 with a really strong cold wind from the NW. The sun came out but it is still COLD!!!!!!!! They were looking forward to the hike in. The ones that had the younger kids thought it was too much of a hike to they opted to go to Killarney. I'm not sure if they're going for the week or just until Tues. Guess this had to be a special experience because of the 10th anniversary. They were all headed across the lake like a nice little row of ants with the girls bringing up the rear picking up all the gear the guys dropped. They all did a little simplifying and I've got a truck load to take to the train on Tues. I think I could have quite a party with the stuff that's left behind :thumbup: Hopefully all will go well and the train will be there on Tues..............Carol

PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 2:41 pm 

Thanks for that update Carol. Their plan to get to Nitro sounds solid.

Who is in this group? Who opted for Killareny?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 6:33 pm 

The ones that went to Killarney are the ones that usually come with the kids.Jim, Ethan, Madeleine, Dusan and his daughter, sorry I forget her name. I think OAF went there and Moe and his crew, I think. I wasn't at the train station and this info I got second hand.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 7:20 pm 

Hi,

In case the Budd does not go Tuesday I may opt to follow them in. Is there parking where they started? I assume it was where the road is close to the that Sideburn Lake flows into?

Thanks,

Daniel.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 7:46 pm 

There isn't any parking there. We just dropped them off and took the cars to the train station in Cartier and then Leslie and I shuttled everyone back to the lake. I'm going to be at the station in Sudbury on Tues. morning, so if the train doesn't run and you want to go up to the lake, I'll go with you and shuttle you from Cartier to the lake. Maybe some others will decide to do the same thing. The trail in will be packed by then and we were at the lake around 10 a.m, so I don't know how long it would take to hike in to the camp but probably not as long as it's going to take these guys.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 7:09 am 

Several years ago there was a group that trekked in from Halfway PP to Nitro in one day. Cold tenters with smaller loads as I recall.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 10:37 am 

Hi all,
I just got off the phone with Smokey's wife Jan... he called this morning and said they had a successful trip in to SmokeFox Lake... conditions for travelling were good and they are well set up... today they plan to move some of the heavier gear to Nitro Creek and make the big push and be fully set up tomorrow...
I'll keep everyone posted when I get updates from Jan...
Hopefully the Budd goes Tues... I can't be there so Carol
( Scouter Joe's wife ) can be the go between if the Budd doesn't run...
As Carol said in a previous post Jim, Jim, Blaf & their kids, OAF, Moe and Sir Campsalot went to Killarney... from the sounds of it most of them will be staying there until Fri...
Still hoping to see you all at Nitro on Thurs..
Cheers,
Al 8)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 11:44 am 

scouter Joe wrote:
There isn't any parking there. We just dropped them off and took the cars to the train station in Cartier and then Leslie and I shuttled everyone back to the lake. I'm going to be at the station in Sudbury on Tues. morning, so if the train doesn't run and you want to go up to the lake, I'll go with you and shuttle you from Cartier to the lake. Maybe some others will decide to do the same thing. The trail in will be packed by then and we were at the lake around 10 a.m, so I don't know how long it would take to hike in to the camp but probably not as long as it's going to take these guys.

Thanks for the offer, that is very generous of you. It sounds reasonably hopeful for the train on Tuesday, but if not I would consider this option. I would think, once the heavy work of breaking the trail is done, it would be fairly easy to get to Nitro in one day.

Will see you Tuesday morning!

Daniel.

ps. I just made up a batch of your biscuit mix, posted on CCR web site. Always delicious!

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 12:46 pm 

Daniel

In regards to making it in in one day, is that on shoes or skis?

Thanks

Brian

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 12:53 pm 

Hi Brian,

By the route I think they would take, it is about 5 km give or take. So that should be quite doable on a broken trail in one day. I will be on snowshoes this year.

Hope to see you there,

Daniel.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 12:55 pm 

Oops, make that miles, not km. Still should be feasible though.

Daniel.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 1:33 pm 

Ha - maybe not feasible for us!

We would definitely need to jettison weight, but we generally bring way too much anyways.

We'll mull it over and see.

Thanks

Brian

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 3:09 pm 

Well, according to Brian in the other thread, the train is now cancelled for Tuesday as well. I'm the only adult in my contingent and don't see any way I can reduce my weight sufficiently without losing the kids too.

Does anyone know where the folks who when to Killarney actually are? perhaps my best alternative would be to join them.

cheers,
darryl

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 3:48 pm 

Hey Darryl,
I think Jim Balos and his crew were going to camp at the main campground for a couple of nights 'cause he mentioned that they might rent one or two of the yurts that were available from Mon - Thurs. You may want to call the park office and see if they could tell you where they are.
I spoke with Smokey's wife Jan about 1/2 hr ago.. she is going to leave a message on the Sat phone letting them know that the Tues train is cancelled.
Hopefully the Budd will run Thurs for the next crew but it doesn't look very promising.
Cheers,
Al 8)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm 

Well I wouldn't mind walking in from 144 if I could get dropped off, or if I could get someone to take my truck back to the Sudbury ViaRail lot. Party of 3.

Sounds kind of fun, actually.

Joe, what are your plans now?

Dave