View topic - Nitro or Bust!!!!!!!!!

It is currently August 15th, 2020, 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 1:22 pm 

:thumbup:

PS: I count 24 people - but who is nit-picking, anyways.... :wink:

PPS: some of us want to see photos. You can't tell a fish story without showing proof!

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 4:47 pm 

Well, the Killarney crew has come home safe and sound :)
Will post pictures as soon as gear is all away. We ended up staying in tents for the first couple of nights and then we split up and some of the crew remained in tents and some went into the yurt for the remainder of the week. We were allowed to get poles for Moe's tent and firewood from the interior of the park no problem.
The weather was sunny and beautiful all week long :D We went hiking every day, to Georgian Bay, the Crack all with spectacular views.
We missed seeing everyone else, I guess it will have to wait till 2012.
Overall we had a great trip :thumbup:
jim
p.s I'm pretty convinced about buying a Snowtrekker!

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 7:18 pm 

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 7:36 pm 

Nice!!! BARE GROUND?????

WTH? I better go to Ontario.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 7:45 pm 

Nice pictures Jim!

Looks like you had a fun time as well!

Erhard, here's my one fish!! I didn't get a snap of the other, no camera at the time.

A few things happened that were real cool, ask the TonyCC crew about the Beaver, and the Wolf Howls in the evening and morning, a couple more tidbits but I'll let someone else tell the story....maybe share the photo's I didn't happen to get as well.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

PostPosted: February 26th, 2011, 8:09 am 

Nice pics - including the proof of a "fishy" story.

It's obvious that all had a good time, with lots of interesting things for the young ones to remember... And yup: there ain't much snow!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2011, 8:27 am 

Hey all! Looks like you Killarney snow trippers had a great time in spite of the last minute change of plans.
Some great pictures and all the smiling faces were good to see.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2011, 8:48 am 

Yes, there was not alot of snow but I was more concerned about slush and really warm conditions. That's probably why we decided not to go with the first group up to #144. It wasn't worth the risk to put the younger campers through, I really want my daughter to have fun and want to come back!
Every year I gather more knowledge for winter camping, and this year is no different:
--we really missed Scouter Joe and his chainsaw, but it was good practice for our camping group to go out and find/cut/split our own wood by hand :thumbup:
-- gotta get a snowtrekker tent !!!!(TOOK TEN MINUTES TO SET UP!!!!)
--bed cots are KING!!!! I slept better than ever and was very warm and great storage and organization under. I would only take one depending on the trek in.
--my CT white solar christmas lights performed amazing!!!! and so lite weight!!!

Someone mentioned that the Budd car was going to undergo and complete engine and transmission change this year :clap: I hope this occurs, because we(my kids and I) will have to really think long and hard about deepfreeze 2012 riding an old bud car :cry:
Saying that, there are so many other places that we can travel to...........backcountry parks and crown land, something to think about.

jim
hope to see more trip reports and pictures!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2011, 10:05 am 

Hey Jim, Georgi et al
Thanks for posting your Killarney pics Jim... looks like everyone had fun... love the deer head/skeleton, quite a find...
I knew Georgi wouldn't tell a white one about the fish he caught... nice... Billy must be miffed... did you catch it on Smokefox Lake?
Hopefully the Budd will get the expected refurb and next years DF will go off without a hitch... time will only tell....
Can't wait to hear about the beaver and wolf howls from Tony CC.... no smores incidents I hope
Hope the rest of the winter is good for all.
Al 8)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2011, 12:37 pm 

The Firedog's crew had an awesome time (Mark, Bob, Shirley, Lisa and myself)
We were part of the Saturday morning crew and had the fun experience of hauling our gear across slushy lakes to get to Smokefox. When we set up camp, we went a 'little farther' looking for that perfect site - didn't find it - but that was OK, because we were going further past to get to Nitro the next day anyways. :D :D . As it ended up, we were the ones far off in the suburbs from everyone else (sorry for the commute to our tent) On Sunday we bushwhacked for 6 hours and Scouter Joe and our party pushed a little father - actually getting our excess gear set up under the Tiki lounge on Nitro Creek. It was a tough push but well worth it setting the trail for Mondays trek. It wasn't till we got back to camp in the dark that we found the Budd car was cancelled for Tuesday and we decided to stay at Smokefox. That gave us a plan for Monday to go retreive our food especially that extra push we had done :doh: and bring it for another walk home. It was a lot faster back than the hike in.
The rest of the week went great - clear cold skies (-24-ish in the early nights, -10 in the latter part of the week. We had an awesome time - sorry that we missed the Killarney crew. Got up to Nitro Lake one day and to the top of a summit just off our campsite. (pictures to follow) What a fantastic bunch of people you all are.
We came out Friday and were home that evening. Kinda nice to make it home on our schedule and not the Budd car's.
Thanks to all for a great week. Thanks also to Carol and Lesley who were our shuttle crews to and from Cartier. Definitely will be seeing you at DF'12!
Rick

PostPosted: February 27th, 2011, 6:34 pm 

Some pics from Smokefox Lake crew. (In reverse order) :-?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2011, 10:33 pm 

Back home from another, my ninth, deep freeze. The challenges of this year were all just part of the adventure that keeps me looking forward to this trip year after year. It was a shame we missed seeing some old friends due to the challenges. But, it was great getting out there once again with my family and friends up north.

I will post more once I get unburied here, figuratively and literally, we received over a foot of snow during our absence.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 7:03 pm 

Hi,

I had a great time and I want to thank everyone for their hospitality. It is really great to be able to combine something like winter travel and camping with socializing.

The travelling conditions were really good this year. Fairly firm snow, almost no slush on the lakes and really great skiing. And unlike Nitro, this location offerred some excellent skiing terrain. I was able to ski up into the Halfway Lake park a couple of times and explore the canoe routes there. The skiing on the wind-packed lakes was fast and easy.

Hope to come back next year.

Daniel.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 9:39 pm 

I have just put together a rough video (2 parts) of the trip from the various clips I had filmed! I posted the first part today on Youtube, the 2nd should follow tonight, or tomorrow night! MIGHT be some cursing I can't remember, but beware. I do suggest that you watch the 2nd video in particular, as you'll see Marc at his finest, pretty funny! hope you enjoy them, though they're just patched together.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 3:41 pm 

and video number 2