View topic - Nitro or Bust!!!!!!!!!

It is currently January 21st, 2020, 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm 

We (Lynda and myself) are also contemplating coming in from 144.

That being said, a 7km hike hauling sleds isn't really realistic for either of us, so we're thinking we'll camp where Smokey et al camped their first night.

And stay there.

If the train didn't run last Saturday, this Tuesday, I'm guessing it may not run this Sunday, so we'd rather hedge our bets.

Hopefully we can work something out shuttle-wise,

Brian and Lynda

N.B. - Plans are still fluid

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 7:53 pm 

It's good to have the Sat phone in the camp, but in case we have to come out by 144, does anyone know if there is cellphone service at that spot along the highway?

Dave

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 9:06 pm 

All,

I just spoke to Jan. Smokey and the crew are staying put at their first camp, which is Smokefox Lake.

Apparently there is parking on 144. I'll endeavour to get more information tomorrow morning but from what I recall from my conversation with Jan you can drop off your gear on the south side of 144 and then drive about 800-900 m and there's parkiing on the north side. I"m sorry that's all I have for info in that regard. Maybe Carol can pipe in where the exact drop off is and people can determine where the parking is from that. I'll post more tomorrow once I know more.

As it stands Brian and I are probably going in on Tuesday. It will be in the morning but I don't know what time yet.

more to follow
lk

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 10:04 pm 

Actually, looking at the topo map of the walk into Nitro, I see "Halfway Lake Provincial Park" looks kind of interesting. Immediately north.

And maybe there's a place to park.

Dave

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 7:29 am 

Parking is key. Any more info?

Dave

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 8:01 am 

No official confirmation yet, but from looking at Google Maps, there appears to be an area just south of Sideburn Lake. Plug these numbers into Google Maps:

46.843667,-81.613366

Whether the area is plowed, I don't know.

Brian

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 9:29 am 

Hi all,
As I write this I'm wearing my DF 2011 10th anniversary t-shirt with an image of the Budd car and the caption ' This Budd's for us '.. so much for that scenario...
Here's the scoop on the DF gang who went in to Smokefox Lake on Sat from Hwy 144.
- Nitro Creek is a bust due to the unpredictability of the Budd car, so Smokey and crew are staying put at Smokefox Lake which is about a 3 hr walk in from Hwy 144. They had their vehicles shuttled back to the Cartier Via station in anticipation of coming out, so a shuttle will be set up on the return out.
- I spoke with scouter joe's wife Carol and she is willing to meet anyone who's still planning to go on the trip at the train station in Sudbury tomorrow or Thurs and drive up to the put in on Hwy 144 and then help shuttle vehicles to the Via train station in Cartier. She just asks that you post on this forum that you are coming and will meet her at the station.
- you'll need a copy of the Pogamasing topo map 41-I/13
- @ 1 3/4 km north of the road going into Onaping Lake ( rt side of hwy 144) is the lake (sign says Sideburn Lake ) that Smokey and crew started. ( no map... the lake is @ 18 km north on Hwy 144 from the gas station in Cartier )
- You can drop your sleds and gear at the north end of this lake where the hwy just abuts the road and then park your vehicles in the small parking lot at the lower end of the lake ( @ 800 m south ) or take advantage of the shuttle that Carol is offering
- from there head west to Smokefox Lake
- the trails in are good condition (snowmobile trails are plentiful ) although the first portage between the 1st lake and 2nd large lake (shown as Sideburn Lake on the map, which I'm told is not the right name) is a little rough.
- it's about a 3 hr walk in from the highway
- everyone is welcome, but call Smokey's wife Janet
( ph #: 705-692-1738 ) a day in advance so she can call Smokey on the SAT phone and let him know who's coming in and when..
- some of the crew at Smokefox Lake will walk out part way and help with the trip in...
Good luck...
Cheers,
Al 8)
ps... if you want an alternative check out the Killarney post by hpindy in the Winter Camping forum
pps... still not sure what Richard,, Pete and I are going to do

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 9:53 am 

A Marcon wrote:
- you'll need a copy of the Pogamasing topo map 41-I/13
- @ 1 3/4 km north of the road going into Onaping Lake ( rt side of hwy 144) is the lake (sign says Sideburn Lake ) that Smokey and crew started. ( no map... the lake is @ 18 km north on Hwy 144 from the gas station in Cartier )
- You can drop your sleds and gear at the north end of this lake where the hwy just abuts the road and then park your vehicles in the small parking lot at the lower end of the lake ( @ 800 m south ) ...

Here's a map you can print out, showing the parking at 144, just north of the road to Onaping Lake, the location of Sideburn Lake and the camp location at Nitro Creek:
http://www.yip.org/~erhard/temp/alternate-to-Nitro.jpg

For an internet glimpse of the same map, go to
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.84386,-81 ... -81.613366

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 10:08 am 

Thanks, Al.

I think we'll join them at Smokefox, parking our truck and walking in Tuesday morning.

No need to ask anyone to come out to meet us.

On the plus side, no waiting for the train, and we can come OUT Saturday.

Dave

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 10:34 am 

thanks Al!

As it stands now, Brian and I are planning on driving up tomorrow morning. Our intent is to start our hike in around 11AM.

Anyone else coming in Tuesday is welcome to meet us and we can hike in together.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 2:42 pm 

Thanks Erhard for the maps... I knew there was some out there good at that...
It doesn't sound like anyone will be meeting Carol at the Sudbury Via station???
Please give Janet a call so she can leave a message for Smokey & the gang on the SAT phone..
Cheers,
Al 8)

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 3:09 pm 

Hello,

I will drive up and aim to be there by 11 or so. But don't wait for me... Think I may bring my skis after all since the hike in is mostly lake travel. I will call Janet.

See you tomorrow,

Daniel

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 7:35 pm 

Unfortunately we ( Richard, Peter and I ) won't be doing the trip into Smokefox Lake to visit the DF crew... Pete's mom is not doing well and there's too much gear for Rich and I to pull in on our own
Hopefully the Budd will be more reliable next year after being refurbished this summer...
Hope everyone going in has a great time... say Hi to the crew for us...
Al et al 8)

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 1:02 pm 

Just got back from a "supply" run. Brian, Lynda, Daniel, Dave H. and his crew all went in. The camp is only 3km. in and it took them about an hour to come out. It took longer going in because they had to break trail and haul everything in. Everyone is good and having a good time. The weather here is beautiful and sunny. Calling for -4C. tomorrow and a little snow on Thurs. .....Carol

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 11:38 am 

Well I can say I had a GREAT ! time.

This was an excellent trip we made of it , I'm so glad that the people made this trip.

Hp indy and the crew made the right choice, unfortunate we could not all be together, when I came out Thursday , I met up with the Budd Car in Cartier,one of those things.

We stuck together and helped each other out, for 3 days we worked as a unit, to get into Smokefox, to make it to Nitro Creek and cache food thinking we would have the train run Tuesday, We came back to the message that evening to find out we went all the way into Nitro for , well, nothing! Next day we pushed back to Nitro and returned all gear back to Smokefox.

Had a great time, althogh it was short for me and a little bitter sweet, I can say it will be a Deep Freeze to remember and one for the history books and campfire gatherings this canoe season.

Good thing I caught fish while there, pulled in 2 pike one 1.5lbr I'll say and the other 3lbs or more....( no really!! ) When I left Bill hadn't caught one yet!!.

The advantage of the Sat. phone made this trip, If we didn't know the train was running Tuesday early, we would have pushed Monday to Nitro and would have been sitting unknown if the train would run for the remainder of the week. That mean't a walk down to Benny to find a way to our vehicles and the gear would have to be stashed at Nitro until we could return to gather it.

Anyway, lets hope everyone had some fun at their Deep Freeze this year!

All the Best,

PS> Thank you Al for the awesome message to the Banter Boys and the group, We enjoyed the NorthWest Passage together and passed the phone around in the tent to listen to you, a treat for sure!

Thanks to Carol and Janet, the two bestest people!

The SmokeFox Crew:

Smokey, Me!, Bill, Madogbob, Scouter Joe, LbPuppy, Deb, Rick, Firedog, Lisa, Shirley, TonyCC, Tina, Nicole, Lynda, Brianl, Kinguq, Swift, Mark, Dave Hadfield and his two bunk mates and Uncle Bobby. 23 of us at the time....

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]