View topic - In search of Specs- Feb 2011

It is currently January 21st, 2020, 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 4th, 2011, 7:59 pm 

Feb 2011

I left Southern Ont with some pretty unseasonable temps. Forecast called for freezing rain and a high of +12 degrees! :-? Local highways were a mess with many sections closed due to major accidents. Stayed the first nite in Massey and listened to the 12 mm of rain falling with an expected overnite high of +5 degrees, all the while thinkin to myself (what are those lakes gonna be like? :( .) Once there i scoped out the major lake system id be putting in on and it was pretty slushy out there. You could see where sleds had severely bogged out. This uncertainty for lake travel inspired me to look for an alternate route which in the end led me to some awesome spec fishing and an amazing site. Found a v-cut rock formation at Goinback Lk that radiated the heat nicely (who needs a hot tent :lol: ) and carried the smoke away like a chimney. At the top of this granite formation i made use of the up-flowing heat to dry out the boot liners as well as melt down the days ice build up on the auger.
The highlight for sure was in meeting an old friend id met during my first winter solo in the area almost a decade ago. He brought me in fresh groceries that consisted of: 2 Liters of milk, bacon, eggs, turkey dawgs, buns, cookies etc. I could hardly believe my eyes. :clap: Not a single egg had cracked even along the 3 mile port.! Gotta love Tuck tape. :) Winter soloing is tough on the body so real food was a welcome site indeed.:) I never would have thought i could eat 18 eggs in 6 days, but they went fast. Fishing overall was typical for specs… incredibly slow. :doh: The one day tho conditions were perfect. A low pressure system blew in right after the full moon. Caught my limit in a few hours! First time that’s ever happened. What a magical day it was too. Weather was overcast with a bit of fog/mist and every once in awhile the rays of sun would shine through at various areas creating an ethereal feel to the lake. It made connecting with those specs even more heavenly. On my last day I thought id try my luck with lakers and was fortunate to put a nice eater on the ice. A perfect end to another trout adventure.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 12:03 pm 

very nice...

Love the fish.

http://hww.ca/index_e.asp

PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 7:38 pm 

Mmmmm!, Fish

:thumbup:

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 8:10 pm 

Nicely done Blinker!

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 12:59 pm 

Blinker:
Great report. I have thought about a trip like yours but haven't because of concerns about where to park my car. Please help me out with the details of how to find a trail head. I'm not a fisherperson so I'm not asking were the glory hole is. :D
Stay safe
OAF

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 7:38 pm 

Hi guys,

Glad you enjoyed the pics.
As for parking OAF thats pretty much at your discretion really.
Some of the areas i access dont have 'official' parking areas. Just small cutouts off the road that ive found over time. Boat launches are also a viable option. Hope that helps.