View topic - Ski recommnedations

It is currently January 21st, 2020, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ski recommnedations
PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 12:11 am 

Started x c sking last year but only in tracks. Would like to get out in the woods with skis with very minor downhill ability. Do not need pro (read expensive ) equipment, just something I can do trails with deepish snow.
Any suggestions as to specific skis as I haven't a clue.
Thxs.

Post subject: Re: Ski recommnedations
PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 5:47 am 

Have you seen this site? http://wintertrekking.com/index.php

Stay safe
OAF

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 7:15 am 

Alex;
The reply/answer to this question could get as convoluted as what is the best canoe. :doh:
O.F's link is a great start.
Read all the pages there and it will give you a great primer on what to look for.
Where will you be skiing? Mtns, prairies, shield country,golf course? all have different snow and requirements for skis.
Not to generalize too much but kind of like a lake canoe vs a tripping canoe vs WW canoe.
Like my canoes (3) and Kayaks (3) I use 5 pairs of skis most every winter and own 10 prs.
Once you've read the content in the link, taylor your questions to your requirements.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 2:09 pm 

Im going on a 2 year expedition/trip in the Canadian north. Need skis for loose snow, good for using with a pulk, but also usable on scooter tracks etc.

Been looking at the Asnes Nansen or Ingstad skiis, but want to buy them in Canada, so I don't have to pay shipping. http://www.asnes.com/index.php?mapping= ... bgroup=MNT

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 8:37 am 

I tend to think that flotation in backcountry skis is overated. In my experience, they either float or they don't, and pushing a wide heavy ski through deep snow is harder than pushing a narrow light one. Few seem to share this view but I wonder how many have actually tried wider, heavier skis against narrower lighter ones under the same conditions.

My favourite ski is the Asnes Marka, a very narrow and light ski with metal edges, that is unfortunately no longer made, I see. I bought a pair in Norway and they have served me very well here. Skis like that are very hard to find; the trend is always to wider skis with substantial sidecut, which is actually a disadvantage for touring.

For you I would think that downhill ability is the absolute least of your concerns. The country you are going to is nothing like the mountains of Norge. If you do find a hill, it will be too bushy to ski down. So you want a ski that is good for the long, straight haul. That means little sidecut, a good wax pocket and a fairly soft camber but enough for a good touring stride.

My guess is that you will end up travelling great distances on lakes and rivers, and there often will be a snowmobile track in the bush sections. Depends where you go of course.

In my experience, weight on the feet is very tiring, and other things being equal, I will go for the lightest ski/boot combination I can get away with, every time. Others will tell you differently, but that is my advice.

Kinguq.