View topic - stove making material advise needed.

It is currently September 26th, 2020, 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 3:30 pm 

So i'm trying to get outfitted for this yrs winter season and have looked at all the stoves and thought about making my own.I have some galvanized steel Mmmm 22-24gauge and i was wondering as long as i put it though a couple of burns before use in a tent is there any reason why i shouldn't use it??

bill

"www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 7:55 pm 

make sure you burn it hot a couple times to make sure the zinc is completely gone or you'll have a problem in the tent. There are some commercially made stoves of galvanized steel.
There is some concern that galvanized will become brittle after use, but there is no consensus. When the wintertrekking site is back up do a search and you'll find a some threads about this subject. There was some talk a couple years back on myccr also IIRC.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 8:01 pm 

oldboyscout wrote:
make sure you burn it hot a couple times to make sure the zinc is completely gone or you'll have a problem in the tent. There are some commercially made stoves of galvanized steel.
There is some concern that galvanized will become brittle after use, but there is no consensus. When the wintertrekking site is back up do a search and you'll find a some threads about this subject. There was some talk a couple years back on myccr also IIRC.

Thanks; i remember that there were talks about that on WT ,,,,,,,, geez i miss them,,,,they were my main source of info for winter camping . I don't care about the brittle issue as the material is free and i do know about the zinc issue,,thanks. We'll see if i get down to building it. I have a few other project to finish first.

bill

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 10:39 pm 

Sorry to venture off-topic, but what kind of DIY stove are you planning? Wood / ESBIT?

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 8:40 am 

I guess i didn't explain it enough. The stove will be a wood stove like the Kni-co or Snowtrekker etc. Something about 10x12x18,,,,3-4 " pipe,,front feed door. while i was trying to go to sleep last night i figured out most of the fabrication part in my head. My neighbor has a metal brake. There are a couple of details i haven't quite got worked out like thinkness of baffle and how i'm going to do the neck where the pipe joins the stove. My shop is full of someone's kitchen at the moment so i have to finish that first,,finish getting my winters wood in etc and then i can get to the tent and wood stove. Most of the yr, ( three season), i use a Bush Buddy but want to try out the hot tent idea for winter.

bill

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 9:24 am 

Very Cool, I love DIY stuff! Must be nice to have access to a metal break! Please post up some pictures once you start your project.

I built a packable cylinder-style wood stove for my Golite Tipi for winter use. I based it off this forum post on BPL. It worked very well for my needs but sold it to a friend. I've been wanting to build another one more similar to the Ti-Goat Version. His stove jack and spark arrestor were what I used for my build -- Not 100% DIY on my part since most the parts were bought and then put to gether. The only thing I really fabricated was the door on the TI camp plates I used. It was so easy, even a caveman could do it! :thumbup:

If you are interested, I bought my foil from SULUK46 Good pricing and located in Canada.