View topic - Winter Camping in Alberta foothills?

It is currently January 21st, 2020, 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 11th, 2011, 10:53 am 

Folks:

After nearly five winters of enjoying hot tent winter camping in central Ontario, I'm moving out west to Edmonton for work.

I'm interested whether anybody has heard about winter camping opportunities in the foothills just outside of Jasper?

I can see that the Rock Lake-Solomon Creek wildland park has backcountry camping in the river valley there, which is promising. The trail system west from Rock Lake extends into the Wilmore Wilderness area in a broad, flat valley.

http://g.co/maps/etpya

I have a 3 person Atuk pyramid tent and 24'' stove along with an 11' Black River HDPE sled, so I'm well equipped.

If anyone has any information, that would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I'm due to hit the trails this winter!

PostPosted: October 11th, 2011, 10:40 pm 

I don't have any specific info concerning stuff near Jasper etc. what i would do is check with Alberta Outdoorsmen

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/

And also check with mec in edmonton and see if someone in the camping dept can direct you to some local enthusiasts. If i'm not mistaken isn't Edson Mors's Kochanski's stomping ground.?

good luck.
bill

"www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

PostPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:40 pm 

Not as familiar with winter tripping in the foothills, at least when pulling my toboggan of gear. We often head to the Lac La Biche area NE of Edmonton. Lakeland Provincial Park and the provincial recreation area (PRA) that surrounds it have some excellent opportunities for winter travel, in addition to being the only canoe circuit in the Province. At one point I calculated that there were over 160km of canoe trails in the two reserves, not including the 140km of maintained multiuse trails in the Park, and even more within the Recreation area. The Parks Dept. only advertises the main 38km circuit as being a canoe trail, but there are numerous portage trails linking the park to lakes in the PRA.

The portages are offlimits to motorized users (one exception) and the lakes are also offlimits to OHV within the park boundary. Actually, to avoid 'user conflict' they simply designated very few trails as portage trails, and maintained far more km's of OHV trail. Nonetheless, we have enjoyed every trip into this area over the past 10 years.

In addition, there are numerous smaller winding rivers that make regular crossing of roads. These rivers are scattered all over Alberta, and once one is north of Athabasca, or west of Rocky, Crown Land becomes quite common and opportunities become plentiful.

In the foothills, the Trunk Road, offers access to many lakes and rivers. Although we've not taken overnight winter trips off the Trunk Road, there are great opportunities to do so. There is a pretty heavy usage by snowmachines and quads throughout the winter, but clustered around a few key staging areas. This can be annoying, or provide a well-packed float, depending on your perspective. So well packed, that we have taken long mountain bike rides in March/April by riding on the sled tracks. Including riding on many km's of shelf ice along the margins of the rivers. All of these could easily be turned into extended trips.

But as for company.....unless we run into each other somewhere, and a couple of ski-bums with heated tents, we will likely be the only foot-powered hot-tenters in the province. It simply isn't on the radar for the average Albertan interested in winter recreation.