View topic - For a cold sleeper, what do you think of this bag?

It is currently September 26th, 2020, 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 17th, 2011, 9:54 pm 

Saw this on-line tonight -what do you think of this at this price?

Chinook Kodiak Extreme Sleeping Bag -40F/-40C (11701)

The Chinook Kodiak Extreme is one of the warmest bags in Chinook's winter line featuring Insufil Thermo insulation, ergonomic head gasket, and foot box, waterproof/anti slip Hi-Tex bottom fabric, oversize draft tubes, and neck collar for added protection in the most extreme conditions. The Chinook SnugHood design gives the best fit around the facial area providing extra comfort while reducing bulk when the drawcord is fully tightened. Available with right or left zippers and may be zipped together with other compatible bags to create 1 roomy bag

Specifications:
• Size: 90" x 34" x 22" (230 x 86 x 55 cm)
• Shape: Mummy design with contour head gasket and foot box
• Construction: Four layered shingle
• Shell: DuPont Tactel® Diamond Ripstop Nylon on top, Waterproof anti-slip HiTex on bottom
• Lining: Pongee Pro
• Filling: 3.5 lbs / 1600g of Insufil® Thermo
• Zipper: #8 YKK, 2 way, reversible puller, auto-lock
• Stuff Sack: Cap compression bag
• Total Weight: 5.7 lbs (2.6 kgs)
Uncompressed pack size: 16 x 9"

http://www.scouttech.com/scripts/prodVi ... product=68

PostPosted: November 17th, 2011, 10:23 pm 

Uh uh..not much. A bag like that (wow is it heavy) will roast you as the temps get near freezing.

Its kind of a specialized bag. I have a minus 30 degree bag that is way too hot when its minus 10. I wish I had not gotten it You might think of getting a second big summer bag or a Wiggy's bag.. I saw one that fits like an over bag. Its the Military center zip.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ ... N=14151196

If you can get down hood that actually covers your shoulders ( there are elastics to hold it in place) your head will stay so warm. Canadian Forces uses one so you might go to a military surplus store. Use a fleece headband as a nose gaiter.

Layering can correspond to sleeping bags too.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2011, 10:41 pm 

Wiggy's...one day. I double bag, but feel really confined. My -40 down bag was perfect for me last weekend at -7, but anyone else would have roasted! Your right, it is heavy.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 9:00 am 

If that bag does what it claims, then at $151 that is the greatest sleeping bag bargain around! I'm not commenting on the quality of the bag, but, the price seems too good to be true. Mind you, I haven't bought a winter bag for over 10 years now. My North Face Darkstar cost me $350 at the time, so, maybe prices have dropped.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 9:12 am 

I think the anti-slip bottom would be a problem for me. I am a side sleeper. If it is cold enough to have the hood up, I roll with the entire bag. I want the bag to move with me.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 9:46 am 

cheryl wrote:
Wiggy's...one day. I double bag, but feel really confined. My -40 down bag was perfect for me last weekend at -7, but anyone else would have roasted! Your right, it is heavy.

You have to get an overbag made specifically to be the outer bag to double bag. That's why Wiggy's has several sizes of bags. The width....so you don't feel confined and the inner bag can actually loft. If it is compressed..no wonder you feel cold. You lost valuable insulation.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 3:52 pm 

Weight looks to be about right for a -40 bag. This North Face -40 bag comes in at 5lbs:

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... tionId=7D8

Price is more consistent with a 0F/-20C bag but it is synthetic fill so that will help keep the cost down.

In a quick search, I haven't found any other bags using the Insufil Thermo to make a bag in the -40C range.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 12:02 am 

I splurged a few years ago and bought a -25F Mountain Hardwear Polarguard bag. I think it was called the 5th Dimension, but it's been replaced by the Lamina -30, which is only $235. Mine was about $100 more! I haven't tried the new one, which may or may not be as good, but what sold me on mine was the really well-thought out hood, draft collar and draft tube. It also has a second zipper along the draft tube that opens up the girth of the bag about another 3" for warmer weather. Bottom line - buy a bag with more than just lots of insulation. Get one which keeps the air you work so hard to warm up inside the bag. Also, snagging zippers and badly designed cinch cords you can't adjust can make you freeze, too. I'd be suspicious of a bargain bag's hardware working reliably. That, and don't buy a bag with too much room. Get one just big enough to move around in while wearing fleece. Make sure the toe box is large enough to wear fleece or down booties while you sleep. This makes an amazing difference on a really cold night.

Since I sleep in a floorless Kifaru tipi and got tired of having a wet bag, I bought a repaired MIL-surplus Gore-Tex bivy bag on ebay for $40. (A Marmot bivy weighs half as much but costs about 3X as much. I also don't want to risk burning a hole in expensive gear by the stove.) Besides being totally wet dog-proof now, my bag is 5 to 10F warmer and I don't get anywhere near as much condensation from my body moisture as I used to, even in a regular 4-season tent. Whether you get a bivy or not, hang your bag out to dry whenever you can.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 2:04 am 

I'm a cold sleeper and toss and turn like crazy. For me a down quilt is the ONLY way to go...check out Jacks R Better, or Hammock Gear...both companies offer excellent service and will customize orders. Hammock Gear usually has a long waiting list but well worth the wait. I will never use a sleeping bag again.