View topic - Looking for Paris Sled retailer in Ontario

It is currently December 7th, 2019, 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 8th, 2009, 10:41 am 

I know this topic has come up from time to time, and I apologize if there is a current post (though I did look...), but does anyone know of a retailer of the Paris Expedition Sled in S. Ontario?
Thanks!

PostPosted: December 8th, 2009, 12:54 pm 

Currently there is no retailer in Ontario. or, from what i understand, in Canada.. these sleds are being manufactured by a company in Montreal called Era. last year I purchased 12 of them, (they come in packages of 6) for about 25 dollars each and advertised them on here. They were all sold in a few days and could have sold many more. Even delivered them too.. lol. If enough people show interest in these sleds and compile a list I could make another order, or if you would like to contact the company yourself they can be found at ERA Group
2500 rue Guénette
St-Laurent, Québec, Canada
H4R 2H2
Telephone: 514-335-0550
Toll Free: 877-372-9273
Fax: 514-335-0571
Toll Free Fax: 866-937-2329

Email: sales@eragroup.ca

PostPosted: December 8th, 2009, 4:30 pm 

Thanks,

I remember that thread last year... and thought of getting a couple off of you then... wish I had of now. I did contact ERA directly yesterday and was told that the minimum order is $500. Eeep. Well if you do start compiling a list you could put me down for 2 anyways.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 2:35 pm 

I am definitely interested in the sled as well, it all comes do to price/availability. I took a look at the ERA website, and they also list a harness and bags for the sled. If the $500 minimum order can include several different items then it might be more practical.

What is missing is poles, and hardware. I wonder if there is a business case to put together a kit for the 'local' market? I think it depends on confirmed orders, as there needs to be a balance between cost, effort, risk, and profit.

Distribution is a challenge. I live in Richmond Hill (just north of Toronto), and from the recent posts I have seen it looks like those of us interested are spread out over the province. I did look into shipping via bus, it appears it would be somewhere around $45-$60 so not cheap for a single sled. This is also the reason I didn't jump on the recent CF surplus sled offered as it was in North Bay, at $99 it sounds like a great deal even though it is a bit short for what I would be looking for.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 8:35 pm 

http://eragroup.ca/pdf/winterproducts_catalog_2009-2010.pdf

What model are you talking about?
#948, 48" x 17.5"
#738, 38" x 16"
#860, 60" x 21"
#1072, 73" x 23"
#960, 60” x 20” x 5.5” EXPEDITION – HEAVY DUTY SLED

------------------------

According to http://www.skipulk.com/images/pulkbook.pdf:
Expedition Sled - 60”x26”x6”

PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 9:10 pm 

The model is 960. FYI... last year I purchased two lots of 6 . I spoke with Cindy at Era and she approved the purchase. She said if i needed anymore I should call and ask for her. The total order with the tax was $328.79. With regard to the rods, I have a supplier in Canada called SMB Farm Supplies that sells 60 inch fibreglass rods that are perfect for these sleds. SMB MFG. INC. box 23 6376 Yatton Side road, Wallenstein, ON N0B 2S0 Phone: 1-800-663-3955 Canadian Tire sells utility belts that are perfect to attach the rods to.. for only $15. The only modification required is to sew loops of webbing on each side to attach the rods. I was able to make up 3 sleds for less than $40 each. so far no system failure and we've used the system for about 7 winter trips. Purchase tanks/duffles from Lebaron Page 242 in the new catalogue.. North 49 canvas equipment bags. They come in 4 sizes. I've copied the design in the Pulk book. using eye bolts and ubolts to attach to the sled. and 1" webbing with fastex buckles to hold the load on,, Never had a tip or any lost gear.
hope this helps a bit.
Earle

PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 10:53 pm 

Very helpful Earle, thank you.

If I can just buy a lot of 6 I think I'll go for it. I'm sure I can convince some friends they need one, and then I will advertise the excess here. I'll phone in the next couple of days and post an update here.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 2:12 pm 

I would like to get a couple of "Expeditions" for myself.

How many potential buyers do we have in GTA?

PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 4:51 pm 

Dave, I will be travelling to Montreal in early January if there is anything to be saved by picking them up instead of having them delivered. There is even the chance that I might be going before Christmas, but that is quite low. The problem will be getting them to you from the GTA, maybe I can justify a trip to Killarney over the holidays.

If you have to order 12 at a time, then I could take 6 - 2 for Yury and 2 for me so not much extra to warehouse in the garage until someone else in the GTA wants one. If you are talking to ERA can you get the price on the bags (EXP-B) & harness (EXP-H), although it doesn't sound like they would be competitive with the suggestions Earle made.

With the fibreglass poles, I would be willing to drive to make the drive to SMB farm supplies. I can contact them to get price and minimum quantify if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 7:48 pm 

Hi guys.

I would be interested in two 960 expedition sleds. I live in Kitchener, but I do not have problem driving anywhere in GTA to pick it up.

But I would like to get them soooner than later, but the latest by the end of January.

Thanks.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 8:30 pm 

Good to see all the interest in this thread.. brings back memories of last year.. that was a great experience getting to know some of the people who are on this great site. if, when you acquire the necessary items to make these sleds operational let me know.. I can give you some tips on getting the job done quickly .. I've learned from my past mistakes and can save you a bit of adversity in the manufacturing process. We are heading out tomorrow morning for a 2 day snowshoe and hot tent excursion north of here but will respond to any inquiries on monday.. and might have some pics to post of the sleds in operation, with our harness and pole systems. It's exciting to see the interest. I can promise you that you will not be disappointed with these sleds. also you can hitch a few together if you are hauling extra gear.. best of all, the nest so they take up next to no room in transit.
Best of Luck..
Earle

PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 8:53 pm 

Called ERA today and played phone tag with Cindy... didn't get a hold of her in the end, but will call again tomorrow (Fri) morning. I'll get as much information as I can including:
- prices of bags and harness.
- what we could save with a pickup in Montreal.

Owl I would be interested in 2 pairs of the poles if you were picking them up...

Earle, as this order looks like it probably will come together I will definitely take you up on your offer of advice and try to get it done right the first time.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 10:09 pm 

looking forward to hearing from you.. if you have any leftover sleds.. let me know.. there are a few people up here that are starting to think i am not all that crazy afterall.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 10:39 pm 

I am also interested in these fiberglass poles.

beaver,

Could you please explain why these fiberglass poles "are perfect for these sleds".
Are they tougher or lighter than PVC conduits?

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 8:56 am 

yes they are tougher.. and they are solid fiberglass so there is no chance of breakage. Using a tap and die set you can thread the end of the rod and attach and cement on a coupler that allows you to then thread this to the sled itself.. This way you can remove them for storage, and at camp you can use them as stakes for your tent. When using them on the sled they are crossed before attaching to the waist belt. This gives you great tracking and decreases the chance of a tip-over. It is quite easy to put these all together.
Earle