View topic - US Military Modular Sleep System?

It is currently August 24th, 2019, 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 21st, 2013, 11:05 am 

Does anyone have experience using the US military modular sleep system (set of nesting sleeping bags and bivvy sac)? It looks as if it could be a versatile system for camping in a variety of conditions, including winter camping.

A lot of used sets are listed on eBay. Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks
John

PostPosted: November 21st, 2013, 4:48 pm 

I have not used this particular US system, but I have lots of experience with an older Canadian Army system of like design. From what I saw when I googled it, it would appear to be an improvement in some ways over what I used. It is indeed a very flexible and adaptive system that will see you through all conditions and seasons. One aspect that you should investigate is its ability to compress into a small package. The full integrated system would likely be quite bulky. If built to mil specks it will also carry a weight penalty over comparable civilian systems.

[i]Rick[/i] discoverpaddling.ca

PostPosted: November 21st, 2013, 5:45 pm 

Yes. It is very warm. The gore tex shell that should be part of it is nice. It is very warm...all synthetic. However it is not for larger people or people who move in their sleep.

I'd much rather a winter hammock set up as long as there are trees around.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 8:36 am 

Sam82 Said
Quote:
However it is not for larger people or people who move in their sleep.

Agreed, I have an older surplus system (down with canvas bivy) and do havve problems when trying to move, very warm though.
I would go with the gortex shell ) next on wish list)
I used my canvas one in shoulder seasons and it does a great job keeping the dampness of the bag when it is very moist out.
they do tend to be bulky though.
But I was warm at -40 and that is what is important.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 10:38 am 

I love my Canadian military surplus winter bag system. Over the last two years, I've sold off my newer expensive winter bags as I haven't used them since getting the military bag system.
Not sure what "big guy" relates to but 2 winters ago I was 44" chest and 44" waist (thankfully not any more) and still found the bag system wonderful. I sleep wearing poly underwear and the bags are a nylon? so the bag doesn't catch at all when I'm flopping around. I do NOT use that flannel liner as it caused all sorts of problems for me as I'm a spinner flipping over about every 20 minutes. The hood system is a must as it protects the head, the neck, the top of the shoulders and keeps cold air out of the bag. It also allows me to flop around at night without causing bag or cold issues.
It's definitely not a backpacking bag but I'm rather surprised just how "small" it packs down to in the military sack.
Cheers Ted

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 10:29 pm 

I have the full Canadian Military Winter Sleep System as well. I agree that it is bigger then the U.S. Military system but still does not work for me at 5'7" and 240lbs...I move way too much and end up out of the bag.

Best solution I have found is a down top quilt for hammocking or in a tent. The portion of sleeping bag underneath you loses much of its warmth from the materials being compressed. Bottom insulation should come from another source like pads. Unless you buy one of those 30lb+ bags with multiple layers and often times made if cotton...warm but not often possible to lug around....

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 10:41 pm 

Is it still possible to get the Canadian system? The few websites I've seen that list it are all out of stock.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 11:07 pm 

check out local surplus stores, that is where I got mine. In the gta there are quite a few storew with web sites.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2013, 12:21 pm 

I got mine at Heroes Army Surplus in Oshawa. They are hit or miss as to whether they will have them in stock or not but they do get them in occasionally.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2013, 8:49 pm 

I found 3 or 4 Canadian sets at ABC Military Surplus in Kitchener today.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2013, 5:25 pm 

I received one of the U.S. systems today. It weighs 9 pounds and when compressed was 14x13 inches. I am 6 feet 1 inch and weigh 190 pounds and found the system to be large enough for me but not any more. Rolling over in the system was comparable to other winter set-ups I have used. All the pieces of the system seemed to be of superior quality, especially the zippers.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 7:28 pm 

You can use either of the two bags separately or if you can only find one piece then just get two inners or two outers and put them together. That is what I have. It is not critical to have the two pieces tied together with the little ties. Pass on the liner too. What the guys do now is have one made of fleece and just stuff it inside, again without tying it. This might work with commercial bags too...stuff two together.

In warmer weather I take the whole set and sleep in the top of the outer giving me three layers of down under me. It is very comfy.

This is not a small bag by any stretch of the imagination but it works and is worth the trouble of carrying it. You can also stuff lots of extra gear in the valise with it so there is no wasted space. One drawback is the valise is not waterproof so I just put a garbage bag inside before I load the down bags in...just stuff em... to keep it all dry.