View topic - Decent -5C Down Sleeping Bag?

It is currently September 25th, 2020, 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 25th, 2019, 6:30 pm 

So, my daughter Kelly moved to BC for a job, and insisted on taking one of my MEC down Cygnet sleeping bags (she likes to camp -- go figure...). So, my winter system has always been 2 Cygnets, nested. (I bought them in 1986. And they have lasted perfectly.) So I thought I'd just buy another. Disaster! MEC doesn't sell them any more! They don't sell anything I want. Which, is...

- Down (for lightness)
- -5C temperature rating. (Not more, not less. Nested, 2 are good to -30C, but singly they are not too warm the rest of the year)
- Barrel-shaped (I hate mummy bags, and also use the bags singly on my boat and for warm-weather camping, often opened-up)
- Baffle-sewn (NOT sewn-through, like the Gosling, which insulates more poorly)
- Long size (I'm 6 ft 1 in and want the bag to EASILY come up to my ears)
- not frightening expensive (within reason)

Anybody got any sources? I'll be doing a Winter Wander in Feb.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: December 26th, 2019, 4:12 pm 

Hey Dave,
Here are a few links to some down bags available in Canada:
https://www.taigaworks.com/collections/ ... 8375917599

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/dolom ... tionId=A7U
(looks like free shipping direct from NorthFace or Sail apparently has this in store)

Cheers,
Al

PostPosted: December 27th, 2019, 10:08 am 

Hi Dave. I do not like to answer a post with other ideas but my solution was to get a down quilt(jacks r better). Quilt makes my older woods bag back to a minus 40 bag by putting the down quilt inside. As a major plus it has become my sleeping "bag" for the rest of the year. I think any down quilt made by some of the small shops that cater to the hammock group will work.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: December 28th, 2019, 6:05 pm 

Check out hammockforums. They have amazing companies on that site full of reviews.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2019, 8:32 pm 

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of stuffing my Cygnet with a quilt.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2019, 9:15 am 

Altitude Sports in Montreal has some bags for sale. There may be one that meets your requirements -

https://www.altitude-sports.com/collect ... 2020%2FMen

The Marmot Argon 25F/-4°C Down long sleeping bag is 30% off but It still costs $315.

In any case, good gear is a long term investment and not an expenditure! Your 34-year-old MEC bags are proof of that!

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 12:09 pm 

OK, I ignored all this good advice, and bought a cheap down bag from China. I should be castigated! I knew better! It was crap. And although the bag will do for on my boat in the summer, I'm out $130 when it comes to a winter system.

I bought an Aegis AEGISMAX UL Goose Down in the large size, from Amazon. THERE IS NO ZIPPER AROUND THE BOTTOM! Just a draw-string around your feet. NOT a good cold-weather feature. And there simply wasn't enough down, or enough loft within the down, for it to work.

On this trip http://hadfield.ca/winter-wander-2020/ we didn't have any really cold nights, but it did drop to -25C one night while it was my turn to sleep in the overflow cold dome-tent. My previous system of 2 Cygnets would have been fine. But the Cygnet plus the Mac UL could not cut it. I ended up sleeping in a down parka within my bag.

My own fault, I know...

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 1:29 pm 

Check out Hammockforums.com They have a buy sell section...could get a cheap quilt. If you have the money check out the cottage vendors on that site.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 9:11 am 

Hi Dave:

I second your pain about Cygnets no longer being available. I have 3, all of them over 20 yrs old. I use them in the summer, when 1 bag suffices for both me and my wife, as I made a sheet bottom that zips to it. In the winter I use 2, or all 3 for both of us. Great bags. The two older ones have lost some of their loft and I am actually considering ways to add more down or replace the down that is in there. Not a straightforward task unfortunately.

Let us know if you find a good replacement.

Daniel.