View topic - Ontario Election - Fight now or pay later.

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 8:03 am 

(sound of can opener opening can of worms... :roll: )

With the PC's announced proposed cuts of 100,000 civil service jobs you know the parks have to be in the cross hairs.
Privatizing Prov. Parks ( ooooh that buzz word again) that and selling off of crown lands and heritage lands and unregulated parks to pay for "infrastructure" and to pay down the debt.
As with the Harper government the warning where there.
And many groups such as "friends of park" will be gaged by rules.
So get involved, ask tough questions demand answers.

One of the limbo moves they use at these question sessions is if they don't have an an answer they might say so, but they will say give my assistant your email and we will get back to you..... :evil: :evil:
And the second they do that, call them on it, saying answer now or publicize the response in 24 hrs to you and on their web site.
Tell them you know of this tactic and you want everyone to hear the answer.
So fight for your special places now or fight harder for less later.
I seen this play, and I don't like the ending.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 9:28 am 

MNR and MOE have been some of the most downsized ministries with recent cuts and I suspect that this will be taken even further with the elimination of 100,000 government workers (ie. "non-essential" work). Hudak always creeped me out and this proves my gut was right.

On the plus side, he's lost 100,000 votes with this announcement along with more votes from the families and relatives of all those affected. And anybody else in government and those worried about inadequate governance, along with the well-being of parks and protected areas.

The election is June 12... this decision might return to bite him on the ass, depending on the larger sentiment out there.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 11:21 am 

Gotta love somebody who says they are going to create jobs by cutting jobs and handing out tax breaks to companies that already have buckets of cash they don't/won't spend.

Start ups that actually do create new jobs are rarely profitable for a considerable period, reduced tax rates on companies that don't make a profit are worthless, they certainly don't provide an incentive to hire.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 11:23 am 

For a million reasons I am troubled by the current Conservative platform and Hudak in particular. Everything he has written in the past 10 years is in sharp contrast to what I believe about the environment, education and health care. I am afraid.

I will probably stay away from this thread because talking politics makes me sick to my stomach. If I lose my job after this election I think my OH and I have decided that we aren't going to bother trying to find jobs again. I'm 33. I have no debt. I've contributed. I work my butt off for 10 years to get a decent job, save my pennies, etc. If my generation is asked to pay (because it is us who will get cut) I don't see the point in being part of the mainstream economy anymore. Really why should I? My education cost WAY more (even counting inflation) than my parents education did. I have no hope of having a pension that was a possibility for other generations who could choose to go into a field with a pension. I have to wait longer for CPP. My chances of getting EI after paying into it from 15 keep going down as the rules change. If you take my job, why should I believe that I have a responsibility to contribute to the economy any more?

I think we'll sell the tiny house and move abroad. I used to live off the 10,000$ I made a summer. I'd rather do that than start a new career.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 4:01 pm 

No worries, it's Hudak's election to lose, and lose it he will. Even tried and true conservatives hold their nose to him. He's Mr. Flippy Floppy, but this latest rallying cry of death to the 100,000 will be his demise, no matter how much he flips or flops.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 4:30 pm 

I'm no Hudak fan or of any other leader either. But his cut of 100,000 jobs or 10% pf the public service will save $2 billion. Public salaries are said to be 50% of the prov budget. With a deficit now of about $11 billion can anyone else do some math . In effect we borrow 25 cents of every dollar we spend. How long can this be sustained ? Does any public employee care that 25% of their salary is borrowed ? And these people are not paid cheaply.
Interest on the debt is already the 3rd biggest component of the budget behind healthcare and education .
What's the answer - tax the rich ? The few corporations making money ? Magna has said recently they will not invest in new plants in Ont. Electricity rates too high, taxes etc.
Yet Wynn has some plan that will balance the budget by 2017 ? Yet next year its going to go up by $1 billion. Time to start believing in Santa Claus or what ?

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 4:59 pm 

canoetripper wrote:
I'm no Hudak fan or of any other leader either. But his cut of 100,000 jobs or 10% pf the public service will save $2 billion.

I'm sure it will save us $2 billion on the onset, but after the fact it will cost us. The Cons are a slash and burn policy party. Did you forget about Harris?

You failed to mention Hudak's "Right to Work" policy he's after that will lead us down the path to lower wages? Google "Right to Work" policies in the US and how they are working out. It might surprise you. The race to the bottom.

And Hudak's claim to create 1 million jobs in Ontario? The Feds can't create 1 million jobs in all of Canada. What sane person would believe his claim that he can create that many jobs in one Province?
Answer: NONE

Matters not. Hudak has no chance of becoming the leader of Ontario. My guess is the Libs or the NDP will form a minority Government with the other being the opposition. The Cons will be in the same place they are now and should be. In the fringe.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 5:18 pm 

Tripper I hope you are right but the cons are leading in preliminary polls so I take Jeff's reminder to get out and participate (vote, campaign, etc - do what you can do) seriously.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 10:46 pm 

The problem with Hudak is there is a chance he will sneak in. No one believed Harper could get a majority. People are not that stupid we said. They will see through the lies and BS we said. No one will fall for that. Turns out just enough of them did. So now the 60% of us who didnt vote for THAT asshole have to suffer through him destroying the country.

Never underestimate these people. They plan and scheme to get in power. You all need to participate.

As far as his policies go...none of this stuff has ever worked. Gut the public service to save money? What? They make the same money as the rest of us, not some mythical huge windfall amount. This is ideology, not sound economics.

How about reduce electricity rates, develop the ring of fire, and cut a deal for cheaper fuel to get the economy moving again.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2014, 6:49 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
MNR and MOE have been some of the most downsized ministries with recent cuts and I suspect that this will be taken even further with the elimination of 100,000 government workers (ie. "non-essential" work). Hudak always creeped me out and this proves my gut was right.

On the plus side, he's lost 100,000 votes with this announcement along with more votes from the families and relatives of all those affected. And anybody else in government and those worried about inadequate governance, along with the well-being of parks and protected areas.

The election is June 12... this decision might return to bite him on the ass, depending on the larger sentiment out there.

Actually it is likely he lost a million votes, not just the 10%, considering none of the public service workers Know who will get cut, so they will all vote against him. I did read that Teachers are on the block, so he must consider them to be non-essential as well.

He really hasn't learned anything from the supreme leader in Ottawa. He should just lie his way into power then do what he wants, wouldn't matter to him if everyone hates him.

You best hope that people don't buy into his crap otherwise you will have your own mini Harper government to deal with and likely lose a lot of the parks and wilderness areas to resource development. Ontario will be for sale just like the rest of the country.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 6:10 pm 

segosih wrote:
The problem with Hudak is there is a chance he will sneak in. No one believed Harper could get a majority. People are not that stupid we said. They will see through the lies and BS we said. No one will fall for that.

Ahem. Rob Ford. People can be that stupid.

The proposed budget by the Liberals was really an NDP budget as the Liberals hoped to keep the support of the NDP.

What the province needs is a Liberal budget. That will only happen with a Liberal majority.

And don't get me wrong. The Liberals deserve to be punished over the gas plant fiasco. But now is not the time.

I do not want to live in Hudak's Ontario and we can not afford to live in Horvath's.

Killarney Campsites - check it out... http://sites.google.com/site/killarneycampsites/Home

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 8:47 pm 

eHealth, ORNGE, gas plants...... There truly is a much lengthier list of Liberal scandals and stumbles. If an election is not the time to punish the perpetrators, when is the time?

As an aside, I understand that "The Agenda" (8:00pm on TVO) is going to be featuring detailed interviews with the party leaders over the next week or so. There should be some good back and forth Q&A's if anybody is interested.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 9:08 am 

Quote:
eHealth, ORNGE, gas plants...... There truly is a much lengthier list of Liberal scandals and stumbles. If an election is not the time to punish the perpetrators, when is the time?

No argument...but a vote for Tim Hudak's Conservatives is a vote against wilderness, nature, and Parks. The other parties may not be great, but his bunch of simplistic thinking knuckle draggers will ruin any last chance Ontario has of protecting what is left of our natural heritage....

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 11:46 am 

It's almost easier to refuse to vote this time......Indeed, the Liberals do need to be punished. But Hudak is too far gone.....if he was even a bit more realistic, I probably would have voted conservative for the first time in my life.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 12:15 pm 

To be honest, I don't really see a direct correlation between a vote for Conservatives being a vote against wilderness, nature and parks. Lands For Life, one of the largest expansion of parks and protected areas within the province, happened under the leadership of the previous Conservative government. There may be a spin-off effect if the number of public servants are reduced, but nothing specifically targeting these values in particular.

Regardless, I do struggle with Hudak's latest stance about cutting so many public employees. I am all for fiscal responsibility, avoiding waste and tightening the belt, but this seems to have come out of nowhere.

I do feel a moral obligation to vote. I like the energy and dedication of our current MPP (Gravel - Liberal), but there is that whole scandal thing. I think Hudak has lost touch. I can't bring myself to vote NDP. The Greens do make sense fiscally, but have no chance in my riding, let alone a hope to form the government. This will be a tough choice.