View topic - Ontario Election - Fight now or pay later.

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 10:02 am 

Don't forget to think about wilderness issues today in Ontario. Discussion of wildnerness or environmental issues at all has been depressingly absent during this election but I think it's pretty clear that today's result will have large impact on them.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 10:53 am 

During the Wynne-Hudak-Horwath debate earlier "environment" was mentioned only once (by Andrea Horwath)... not much of an issue right now. And absolutely nothing about wilderness and natural areas protection (I listened to the entire debate from beginning to end).

Alright, I am going to name names... based on past record, Liberals have done a few things - off the top of my head...

- the new Parks and Conservation Reserves Act, stronger legal measures brought in for protection.

- increased protected land area in Algonquin where logging is banned.

- protection of the Oak Ridges Moraine and Niagara Escarpment in a green belt north of Toronto, from Niagara to Cobourg.

- a promise to protect 50% of Ontario's boreal forest, one of the world's largest land area commitments to wilderness.

- elimination of coal-fired electricity generation, reduces acid rain and smog (unfortunately this led to the gas plant fiasco).

- the Endangered Species Act (unfortunately, there were exemptions granted to industry).

So not perfect... still, it's something.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 7:23 pm 

Crosses all my fingers and toes hoping the Conservatives don't get in...

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 9:52 pm 

Hudak resigns....Liberals win a majority! Wow...who would have thought?

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 11:22 pm 

Yup, prepare for ever increasing electricity rates, higher taxes, and more corruption. Congratulations, and heaven help us all.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 11:54 pm 

Move out of the city , be independent , make your own hydro , grow your own crops ..... and yes I've already helped myself :D

Cheers .... Vin

PostPosted: June 13th, 2014, 11:32 am 

Of course, no PC's are every corrupt....hydro rates now cover all costs without us adding to any "social/environmental" debt, and lower corporate taxes (which are actually a form of corporate welfare) are always best.....

Some of us picked the lesser of evils.... shame you lost, I guess.

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: June 13th, 2014, 2:42 pm 

Whew! A big sigh of relief...now let's repeat the performance in 2015.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: June 15th, 2014, 11:16 am 

Amen to that! It's not that I have any hard and fast ideological convictions. I just don't like the big business agenda that the current crop of conservatives have. You will notice that I left out the "progressive" part, because they are not.

What is needed is a broad spectrum party that can take ideas and programs from both left and right and blend them into something that works for all of us....not just their supporters. Remember, even if you get half the vote, that means the other HALF of the country didnt agree with you. You can't just toss them out in the cold until next time.
Politicians are like our kids. We largely ignore them as we go about the tasks of running our daily lives. Only when they become so annoying that we have to take action do we pay the necessary attention. We need to be more engaged on a constant basis but honestly, this is the sort of petty crap that caused my heart attack in the first place and I get sick of the bickering and arguing. Along with the lies, greed, and corruption.

See... now I am getting stressed just thinking about it.

Christy

PostPosted: June 15th, 2014, 2:16 pm 

segosih wrote:
Amen to that! It's not that I have any hard and fast ideological convictions. I just don't like the big business agenda that the current crop of conservatives have. You will notice that I left out the "progressive" part, because they are not..

Christy

Agreed. I could vote for a Progressive Conservative but not for that crew of right wingers.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.