View topic - MURDER IN OTTAWA

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MURDER IN OTTAWA
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 8:26 pm 

Rest in peace Corporal Nathan Cirillo; thank you for your sacrifice.

Thank you very much Kevin Vickers, for your courage and commitment.

Another rabid adherent of a toxic cult has again demonstrated its true nature, and thankfully was put down quickly.

Ubique

Post subject: Re: MURDER IN OTTAWA
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 9:17 am 

Peter Mansbridge on CBC news yesterday said that "this changes everything"... I have my doubts that this will be a global tide turning for Canada, but it may be that the world's perception of Canada as the world's peacekeepers may be changing.

One murder in Ottawa is small potatoes compared to the long-term devastation that's been going on in Syria and other troubled nations, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, etc. Some say that with catastrophe it's human nature to look for a scapegoat, and there is plenty of that forming in crisis-ridden parts of the world.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 9:35 am 

Quote:
Peter Mansbridge on CBC news yesterday said that "this changes everything"... I have my doubts that this will be a global tide turning for Canada

I would think it would b a wake up call.

It's the end of the age of innocence. With the advent of ISIL.. the terror can come from within from a country's own citizenry.

I was appalled that someone could walk into Parliament so easily.. No armed sentries? No dogs? You can't get into any courthouse around here that easily!

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 10:44 am 

Quote:
I was appalled that someone could walk into Parliament so easily.. No armed sentries?

The news reports said that the guards at the entrance weren't armed so the perp got in. There are metal detectors at the entrance but the alarms going off when the rifle set them off probably didn't alert armed security fast enough.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 1:34 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Quote:

It's the end of the age of innocence. With the advent of ISIL.. the terror can come from within from a country's own citizenry.

Our "age of innocence" ended 44 years ago this month.

When you state that you will be dropping bombs on people they tend to react, anyone who is surprised by this weeks events is naive not innocent.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 3:00 pm 

Both were Quebec boys... If they hadn't decided to become religious fruitcakes their weirdness would have manifested somewhere else as it was in the process of doing with their previous multiple arrests... Denis Lortie, Marc Lepine, Clifford Olsen et al... Mulcair is right; we wake up the next day pretty much the same people with the same values and ethics in spite of these fruitcakes, who in the end don't amount to anything.... less than zero

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 3:48 pm 

Quote:
they hadn't decided to become religious fruitcakes

Doubt they decided by themselves. Yes with a little help from "internet friends". Radical groups prey on these sort of folks.

90 more on the "watch list". Whatever that means.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 6:47 pm 

The catch phrase the media seems to have gravitated to when describing the perpetrators of the last few days is ' recent convert to Islam'. Is this to instil fear in those of us who do not pray five times a day? Or is it to make those who already practice, what is viewed by western society as an unsavoury, uncomfortable in land they now call home? Call them fanatics, fruitcakes , or toxic cultists who fight Holy Wars but the end to this problem is far from over. Not too long ago I remember a Christian leader of a powerful country invading a sovereign nation after he had a personal conversation with His God. One might have called him a fanatic.

Should we have allied ourselves with our southern neighbour? Probably not but I don't think we had much of a choice. Our American friends have labeled themselves policemen of the world but to many nations especially those in the Middle East they are considered bullies. One just has to look at CIA involvement in the region over the past 70 years to know there will not be any warm thoughts of western society anytime soon. 'Operation Cyclone', 'Operation Ajax', 'Operation Orchard', 'Operation Straggle' to name a few covert endeavours to cause regime change through assassinations, political unrest, and militia training and funding. Iran and Iraq once had democracies that were considered pro-communist because they wanted to nationalize their oil wealth which were held in tight control by foreign nations. Now look at where we are.

We have three going on four generations of Muslims from these nations that are fed up with how the west has treated them. And there will no doubt be a few sympathizers that turn into expatriates toting long rifles.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 7:57 pm 

Quote:
Should we have allied ourselves with our southern neighbour?

you already are. And this takes away not from your national identity in my mind.

Just be mindful and not naive. Recped had the right phrase. I did not. I was just appalled at how easily such wrath was wrought.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ottawa-par ... -1.2809722

As much as I love your country, of course you love it more.

Take care. That's all.

Is there anyone here? Nope. I thought so. Edited twice. I cry for you Canada.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 11:15 pm 

That is where we differ. I do believe Canada's involvement will affect our identity.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 11:33 pm 

bearburrito wrote:
That is where we differ. I do believe Canada's involvement will affect our identity.

You could well be right.

I hang onto CCR as a measure of all things Canadian. And as of now I read complacency. Just like american pancakes. Or stereotypical American beer...

Love me hate me as an American but god dam it ..feel and don't be afraid to express

PostPosted: October 24th, 2014, 3:27 am 

A crazy person murdered an innocent man who was just standing there doing his job.

:(

The fact that ISIL exists did not make Bibeau go crazy. AFAIK the evidence is that he acted alone. Was this a home-grown terrorist attack or a crazy person who murdered someone? Is this a wake-up call to increase the power of the state to monitor and control its citizens in order to "fight terrorism", as our right-wing government wants to do? Or is it a wake-up call to try harder to find and look after those of us who are mentally ill?

To be clear, I want more of my tax dollars to go to "get" those ISIL wackos who are decapitating innocent people etc. I do not want to give up more of my freedoms (and tax dollars) in exchange for a false promise of absolute security.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2014, 1:56 pm 

It appears the guy was a crack addict and petty criminal most of his life. I don't think that qualifies him as a terrorist in the ISIL context. The Quebec guy was in the same mold. They could have decided to become "freemen or Born again or militia or whatever" . I think Muslim was just the luck of the draw. I don't believe reflection or theology had much part in their decisions. Just a couple of bozos. I don't think we have to panic and declare the war measures act just yet.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2014, 3:45 pm 

True Alex!

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: October 24th, 2014, 4:44 pm 

Things won't be the same

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/ ... PY20141024

Ever since 2001 I have been a little cynical when events are attributed to "nut jobs" Because they may be insane does not make them stupid.