View topic - This video !

It is currently April 4th, 2020, 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: This video !
PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 12:12 pm 

For those of us who have been affected by someone in their family with mental illness please share.
If you are blessed and never encountered it share it any how.
Because when you find out you can't get them the help they need your family will be torn apart. It is not a pretty thing to live through from either side.
:clap: I applaud those that had the courage to make this video. To throw their names out there takes courage and bravery!

http://thisvideo.ca/

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Post subject: Re: This video !
PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 6:52 pm 

I'm willing to share. Which of mine would you like...

Social Anxiety
Situational Anxiety
Panic Attacks
Clinical Depression
OCD...

Depression meds work, but only for so long. After about 6 years on Paxil it stopped working, switched to something else and I got fat amongst other side effects and after 5 years it stopped working. There really aren't any meds for the anxiety or panic issues other than highly addictive ones. I just have things I cannot do at all, change how I live to accommodate my special needs.

Life goes on.

Karin

PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 8:05 pm 

Mihun09 :clap: :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing your story!
I can not imagine the pain.
But I have lived the results because help was not there for those I care for.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 7:41 am 

So many things we are afraid to talk about - and its silly. I'm glad that people are opening up about mental health, as well as so many other skeletons in the closet. Many of the things we are taboo about are the things that lead folks into depression - money, sexuality, health issues, etc.

I've started talking more openly about all of these and its incredible to see the reactions people give. The other day I was talking about lines of credit and how we are digging our family out of debt. A coworker took me aside and mentioned that I shouldn't really be talking about my finances in the office since it reflected poorly on me. Dafuq? Why? I'm doing something about it, which is a lot better than digging deeper and hiding it, taking on stress and getting depressed.

Last week I had a business visit to a mental health hospital, getting back to work, comments/jokes started flying. It wasn't appreciated when I pointed out that the comments were a reflection of individual insecurities, and that these were people who needed help more than being laughed at. It broke up the conversation PDQ.

Don't know that I'm adding much value here, but its nice to see people opening up and facing the problems head-on.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 8:28 am 

Mental health issues seems to be the last taboo subject in the world. Nobody wants to admit they have issues since attitudes towards them change immediately to the negative. The usual responce is to get medicated for whatever, but there isn't always a medication for something and living a medicated life isn't all it is cracked up to be. I'm not taking anything at the moment, haven't for 4 years. I chose to live life without medication and just deal with it in my own way.

About 20 years ago when I was first diagnosed, I asked my Mother about any family history with mental health issues and she refused to acknowledge any such thing. So, I have no idea if it is hereditary or just me. Only now am I learning of hereditary traits as my parents age, which is how I found out Parkinson's is something I have in my genes. Considering there is a correlation between depression, depression meds and Parkinson's, it is possible I am at higher risk. Just something else to look forward to.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 4:51 pm 

I was listening to the Mother of the young man that stabbed the soccer player in St. John's this past summer. A bad ending to a sad story. They new their son was going down hill, and they couldn't get the help needed.
Once you are an adult it is very hard as a family member to intervene to try and help.
and that is wrong! and so sad.
I was very happy to post and share this video on various social media sites because we have to start the conversation.

Jeff

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 5:10 pm 

Good post! here's more background

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.2800389

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2014, 8:19 am 

Thanks for the video, and the conversation Jeff. I could fill pages about depression, as well as PTSD, but I'd rather not. Just this, the scariest part of having a family member with PTSD is NOT when they're in the psych ward drugged up and getting treatment. It's when they're deemed "well enough" to be released, first for weekend visits home, later for a full week or more. The suicide watches are emotionally draining and the constant balance required of just enough love, discussion, small talk non-discussion, alone time, family time, one on one time...You can't smother them 24/7, as much s you want to. And yet it's frightening to leave them for a moment, just in case. The biggest relief was when we could re-admit him back to the safety of the hospital ward. It took several "sink or swim" episodes to finally get him home to stay. The biggest scare was when they'd say "He's well enough to go home...again." It felt like they were tossing him into a lake, to see whether he'd swim or drown. A constant adjustment of meds was required to facilitate "being in the here and now", but at the same time combatting sudden suicidal thoughts and terrifying rages. It was a constant high wire act, so much depended on his being cooperative and talking. The doctors were good, the meds were good, but the immediate family and friends make a huge difference as well. Once outside the safe confines of a warm hospital bed in a secure ward, family and friends are the only safety net there is. A safety net against self harm and/or harming others. I've already filled too much of a page. There's so much more pain and anguish to tell, but I'd rather not. Just this; it was a long 3-4 years, but we were lucky, and are now enjoying a happy ending. Love and support is so important. Professional help and treatment, and drugs will only get a sufferer halfway home. Love and support is what (in my opinion) gets them the rest of the way home. A reason to live is the biggest lifeline. For us, our son's own children were that motivation for him to stop trying to leave this world, and start fighting to stay.
Just one more thing. If we are to end this ignorance towards mental health issues, we need to as a society stop allowing it to be dismissed as a failing. We heard all too often PTSD regarded as cowardice or a sign of weakness, always by folks who've never seen it up close and spoken with health professionals. Even if it takes one spokesperson at a time (as C.Potvin has done), our collective view of this must change. A sufferer is not someone to be ridiculed or despised, but helped and warmly welcomed back into society that genuinely cares for them. The caring has to start now.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 4:55 pm 

Over 10,000 members and I'm the only one willing to admit I have issues. That in itself says a great deal about how mental health issues are forbidden from society as we know it.

I've been perusing the CMHA sites and from what I've seen there is very little resources available short of a phone call or personal visit to the local asylum to address my issues. I would much rather talk about it online before potentially committing myself to an institution with a personal visit. From this research I have found the CMHA to be archaic in their approach to mental health issues. They want people to come forth and pursue treatment but they do little to create an environment conducive to such a thing. Am I going to put myself out there in real time for them to judge me, or shall I continue to hide my problems and keep living my life that I can function in without judgment or someone who would commit me because I don't fit into "society's norms"?

For me personally, if I am going to see a professional about my problems, I would like to see someone who has personal experience with depression or anxiety, OCD, rather than someone who learned their profession from a book. Do they allow people with clinical depression experience to treat others with it?

I think it is time the CMHA took a look at itself and analyzed if they are providing the help that people need because I believe under the current conditions people will continue to hide thier issues to avoid the possibility of being committed for something that "society" deems to be abnormal.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 7:17 pm 

I have/had issues father/brother/ sister after her stroke,
It doesn't just affect those that have issues.
Trying to get them help in our system is a crime.
And horribly frustrating!
But it does make us much more supportive of those that have problems.
Hence the post on this. To help others from either side of the issue is important.
And many on both sides suffer in silence.
It has to change and as we see from how our Federal Government treats (still) treats our vets they don't care!
Which is sad.
Jeff

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 7:27 pm 

Quote:
Over 10,000 members and I'm the only one willing to admit I have issues. That in itself says a great deal about how mental health issues are forbidden from society as we know it.

those 10000 members come in all forms dead, alive, disinterested and mechanical.
The people who come forth to converse are a much smaller group. I'd guess about 150-200.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 8:03 pm 

PostPosted: November 16th, 2014, 5:01 am 

"For me personally, if I am going to see a professional about my problems, I would like to see someone who has personal experience with depression or anxiety, OCD, rather than someone who learned their profession from a book."
Excellent point! A friend of mine asked a psychologist if she had cured anyone during her career? She said she had cured one person. Maybe that's a good question to ask.. although it may be embarrassing to answer and thus...
The local mental health ass'n here said they thought you were better off speaking with a good friend than seeing a psychologist.
What I'm leading to is that professionals are cultural, religious, politically bound as we all are and thus see things/issues through their own mental filters. I think it would be wise to interview any potential medical professional to see if they were on the same page.