View topic - Elephant in the Room

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elephant in the Room
PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 8:06 am 

In a similar vein----our daughter, who lives in TO quipped a couple of years ago"I don't know why you look at me when you are talking about Rob Ford. Do you really think I voted for him?" :D

I have liked most Americans that I have met---it's their politics that baffles me, the extreme emotional reaction to health care and gun control.

Even some people from Maine are OK--I went down 2 US rivers with a Maine guide and outfitter. Put my life in his hands! :lol:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 8:36 am 

I guess my extreme emotional reaction to healthcare is that if the AHCA passed in its initial unglory the premiums for a 50+ individual with preexisting conditions would escalate to as much as $150,000 a year. And some people born with congenital defects would be uninsurable.

I think healthcare is a right. I am tired of the " We the GOP will ensure access to healthcare for all". At what price... then they clam up.. Access and affordability are different. For a senior Mainer not on Medicare premiums would eat up about 60 percent of their income. Is that right?

Its all about the common good vs the private good. They do not mesh now.

And for the Republicans Plan?What Plan?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... c5d513da63

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 8:42 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
I think healthcare is a right.

I think it's safe to say you are preaching to the choir here!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 9:08 pm 

I apologize for arrogant behaviour of fellow Canadians and their anti-US/anti-Trump comments. :)
You need to forgive them, because they were brainwashed by Canadian MSM. :(

OK. On a more serious note, I have not yet travelled to US this year.
I hope to travel there within next two weeks.
Based on my research (and filtering out all propaganda FUD BS) I do not expect any significant difference.

I will provide an update on my border crossing experience later on.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 7:33 am 

Yury wrote:
I apologize for arrogant behaviour of fellow Canadians and their anti-US/anti-Trump comments. :)

Typical Canadian! You guys will apologize for anything I do wrong! :lol:
One bad apple is expected in any bushel

BTW the Executive Branch this morning was termed "disabled and unable to do anything" by the mainstream media because of the Russian election probe. Someone on top is obsessed. To me ( and I could be all wet) , if there was nothing he did wrong, wouldn't he just carry on and ignore the mess? Nope he cant stop tweeting.
Maybe I should join twitter.

We're going over border in a couple of weeks. As we have a travel trailer that we haven't taken before we will plan for extra questioning.. And have a book loaded onto Kindle so that we can pass the time without impatience. Just in case. The travel trailer might make it look like we are seeking exile :rofl:

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 9:26 am 

There is a smidgen of truth in what we hear, what we read, but we have to shovel so much you know what aside to get to it, often times we just give up and give in to face value versions of "facts". Here in Canada we have right leaning media with trashy slanted alternate facts littering our lives. They feed the monster that is anti-intellectual follow- the- leader politics. We used to have left leaning media doing likewise, but I don't know where they went? And even our own beloved CBC has fallen into click-bait "journalism", posting articles lean on backstory perspective and heavy on reactionary outrage. I believe we're being played by both the politicos and the media. Why? The politicians and respective party are after our votes, the media is after our subscriptions. Both are braying for our attention. It has been said that knowledge is power, and what that means for us is that without careful introspection and balanced study of all the faux facts and fluff we are powerless to make up our own minds as to where and with whom we place our votes, our subscriptions, our attention, and our trust. And yet the media and politicians wonder why the reading electorate has become negative and disassociated with this "system"? This is my rant and my conspiracy theory; I continue to shovel through news articles from several sites offering several perspectives, and then try to see all sides to this shit. All I really know is I've always been welcome and warmly treated in the States; it's the border that's harder to deal with.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 11:51 am 

Odyssey wrote:
Here in Canada we have right leaning media with trashy slanted alternate facts littering our lives.
I apologise for my ignorance.
Does "right leaning media" exist in Canada?
Could you provide an example?
Do we have at least one right leaning newspaper or TV channel e.g. in Toronto?

Odyssey wrote:
I believe we're being played by both the politicos and the media. Why? The politicians and respective party are after our votes, the media is after our subscriptions.
To understand the nature of this collusion you need to add big business and trade unions to a list of interested parties.

Yes, people can easily be misled when they hear only one side of a story.
For example I am not sure how many Americans understand how popular Rob Ford was in Toronto.
Even during peak of coordinated anti-Ford attack by Toronto MSM, more than 50% of Torontonians were supporting him.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 12:01 pm 

Some of us were aware as Rob Ford was "Everyman" like John Q Public. Like us with warts etc We get the CBC here via border stations at night or PRI in the day, but some in the States further south might not have known that.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 1:46 pm 

Yury wrote:
Odyssey wrote:
Here in Canada we have right leaning media with trashy slanted alternate facts littering our lives.
I apologise for my ignorance.
Does "right leaning media" exist in Canada?
Could you provide an example?
Do we have at least one right leaning newspaper or TV channel e.g. in Toronto?
------------------------------------
Sure, Postmedia Network Inc. ie The Sun. Not sure if there's anything more unapologetic Conservative than that.
And for another perspective with a different bent try The Star.
I'm not ranting against any political party per se, just against the dumbed down slim pickings offered to us. With the concentration of media ownership here it's harder to find a selection of differing editorials and opinions.

But getting back to that elephant. I'm a straight white male with no criminal record and no "left-wing pinko internet history", which puts me in a "safe" category unlikely to draw attention from dubious types in power with suspect agendas. I guess that makes me one of the lucky ones. Boring, but lucky.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 2:35 pm 

Odyssey wrote:
Sure, Postmedia Network Inc. ie The Sun. Not sure if there's anything more unapologetic Conservative than that.
And for another perspective with a different bent try The Star.
I never was a fun of The Sun because of its low intellectual denominator.

At the same time I do not understand your comment about "The Star".
As far as I understand https://www.thestar.com/ is owned by The Toronto Star that is controlled by Atkinson Foundation, staunch supporter of trade unions.
Do you really believe that The Star is right leaning?

Last edited by Yury on June 7th, 2017, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 3:05 pm 

Glad that others mentioned the parallel between Bob Ford and Donald Trump; didn't want to be the first.

My secrets to having no trouble at the border:
Cross several times each way every year.
Do nothing on either side to attract the attention of any law enforcement agency.
Don't smartass any border agent.
Above all, be 78 and look it or more.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 3:51 pm 

Meanwhile the circus will be on TV tomorrow figuratively speaking. Comey testifies before the Senate Intelligence Committee tomorrow.

Watch Twitter. Someone is going to explode
Yes I will have a double popcorn with butter please.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 4:03 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:

Reality TV ?

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 6:05 pm 

GHOSLO wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:

Reality TV ?

Reaally wish it were the Sci-Fy channel.. Reading some history of WWII the parallels make me want to puke.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 8:26 pm 

Yuri
I said "for another perspective with a different bent try the Star".
ie NOT the same. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next