View topic - Canoe Poling Film

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Canoe Poling Film
PostPosted: September 15th, 2009, 3:16 pm 

doftya wrote:
I've been thinking of getting myself a pole for quite some time.

What are ya talkin' about? You just got a new pole this spring. :lol:

PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 10:06 pm 

I'm not sure what got me laughing more, the question or the look on your face in that new pic. Nice hat BTW. Not quite as nice as the previous hat, but nice none the less.

Mind you, I like my winter hat:

Unfortunately I didn't catch that one with the new pole.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 10:57 pm 

doftya wrote:
I'm not sure what got me laughing more, the question or the look on your face in that new pic. Nice hat BTW. Not quite as nice as the previous hat, but nice none the less.

Ya, that's some ugly puss I have on there. Someone said it looks like I need more fiber in my diet. More likely I need more coffee.

The hat is a Lady BK special, 100% alpaca from a local farmer. I can't wait to see if it keeps the frost off my noggin while I'm sleeping on those late fall camping trips.

I promise to take down that avatar photo sometime tomorrow. I was mugging for the camera and I just couldn't resist sharing it, but I don't want to cause nightmares for any young children who may accidentally view it. :doh:

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 6:22 am 

Nah, l'd leave it up for a while, if it's alpaca, it'll be plenty warm enough. In the meantime, make sure you get that cup of coffee!

BTW, did Lady BK have a pattern to work from? Lady Doftya does a lot of knitting as well, like the hat I have. She did make some felted hats as well earlier last winter, I think they were based on something she found on the net. Just wondering, cause I know Lady Doftya would love to find new things to try.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 8:09 am 

doftya wrote:
BTW, did Lady BK have a pattern to work from? Lady Doftya does a lot of knitting as well, like the hat I have. She did make some felted hats as well earlier last winter, I think they were based on something she found on the net. Just wondering, cause I know Lady Doftya would love to find new things to try.

I'm sure she has the pattern stashed away in her "big book". I'll have her shoot an e-mail and let the two "Ladies" take it from there.

I actually wore the hat at the end of last season when she finally got it done (I'm way down the list headed up by my 2 year old granddaughter Cadence). It's really quite toasty. I petted the alpaca that grew the fiber it was made from. Kinda cool.

Lady BK just finished up a giant tote bag for her knitting. Then she shrunk it up and it went from kitchen table size to shopping bag size. Looks real tough and is probably windproof (can't see a bit of light through it) so her knitting projects will be nice and warm at any rate. Now I want a felted hat and mitts. Maybe after Cadence graduates college. :roll:

BTW... what was this thread about? :oops:

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 8:27 am 

Quote:
Someone said it looks like I need more fiber in my diet

Looks more like the "Sopranos Go Dogsledding" :rofl:

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 12:35 pm 

The old avatar was certainly a bit more warm and friendly looking--BK as avuncular uncle. This one is a little scary, and that hat makes him look like the evil elf in the movie "Bad Santa".

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 8:06 pm 

Battenkiller wrote:
BTW... what was this thread about? :oops:

Poling

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 10:17 pm 

Those are some fantastic photos. I went by the local Home Despot to find a 14" hardwood closet rod... the longest they have is 8'. I was disappointed, I really like the feel of wood. Should I go scrounging the woods for a suitable tree, or ought I settle for some aluminum pipe?

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 4:25 am 

If you can find a 12' length 1.125" diameter with a 0.05 or so wall of 6061 or 6063 aluminum, plug the ends with a press fit delrin dowel, and set a stainless bolt coming about 1" out of the plug, then you will have a nice light strong springy pole.
Wood OTOH is heavier, warmer on the hands, quieter, and less likely to take a permanent bend like Matt's brand new hardly used alu pole did on the Ware.

Both of my aluminum poles have small crooks on one end.
My closet pole is heavy and not as stiff. I generally go with the alu.
In a pinch I've used a 10' length of 3/4" EMT (steel electrical tubing).

It's probably better to find something that works and get out there than to worry over "proper" gear. The skill comes from doing it more than anything else.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 8:56 am 

doftya wrote:
Those are some fantastic photos. I went by the local Home Despot to find a 14" hardwood closet rod... the longest they have is 8'. I was disappointed, I really like the feel of wood. Should I go scrounging the woods for a suitable tree, or ought I settle for some aluminum pipe?

I prefer wood poles (and canoes) for all the reasons Tommy C1 lists.
Make your own, from a 2x12, 2x14 or 2x16. Just rip it on a tablesaw or bandsaw, and make the cross-section round (better grip=hexagonal) using a drawknife, spokeshave or block plane.
Tip protection can be added in various ways; lagbolt into the end(s), sleave of copper pipe (maybe even PVC! cheaper and lighter).

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 10:06 am 

I've never used an aluminum pole, but have used manufactured ash poles and hand carved spruce.

Spruce is a lot lighter and "springier", but less durable. Black spruce is said to be the preferred species, as it is supposedly more durable than white or red spruce.

The traditional way to get a spruce pole around here is to cut a 10-14 foot tall black spruce, limb it, then shave it down to the desired diameter with a draw knife.

I bought my current ash pole from Peavey Manufacturing in Eddington, ME. http://peaveymfg.com/products.html

I think I paid around $40 for it.

It's going on 8 years of use with plenty of signs of wear, but no functional damage. I treat it with linseed oil and turpentine a couple of times a year to protect the wood.

I have heard recently that Peavey is out of business, but their website is still up.

Pole and Paddle offers both spruce and ash poles for sale, although they note that their ash pole supplier has gone out of business, which suggests that Peavey may indeed be gone.

http://www.poleandpaddle.com/poles.html

Shaw and Tenney, a fine paddle maker in Maine, also offers wood poles for sale, but their website offers no price or other information. They make paddles in both ash and spruce. They also sell a metal pole shoe if you choose to make your own.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page for what information they do have. http://www.shawandtenney.com/classic-wooden-paddles.htm

I suspect that shipping a canoe pole is not easy, or perhaps not possible.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 5:37 pm 

Since aluminum poles are usually made to come apart, what about adding that feature to two 7ft wooden poles? Or would that connection be too weak?

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 12:02 pm 

doftya wrote:
Since aluminum poles are usually made to come apart, what about adding that feature to two 7ft wooden poles? Or would that connection be too weak?

Don't know why you couldn't make a 2 piece wood pole but...

Most poles I see, aluminum or wood, are one piece. If you tie it into your canoe then transporting a 12' pole is not a problem. Poles are generaly flexible enough to conform to the gunwale curve so they are not in the way when you paddle. My poles generally live in which ever canoe they were last used in.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 12:50 pm 

I'm going to be spending four days on Cape Cod Bay instead of my traditional trip to the Dacks on Columbus Day weekend. Maybe I should go to HD and check out the closet poles before I take off. Last I remember, those flats can get pretty hard to use a paddle on during low tide.

While I'm there I'll check out what kind of couplings they carry that might be used to sleeve two poles together.